Trying to find a rich text editor

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm searching for a SMALL & SIMPLE text editor (download size of around 2MB or less) that handles hyperlinks plus file extensions txt and rtf. Price $20 or less.

I do NOT want a full-fledged word processor -- just a simple text editor that can handle rtf & hyperlinks.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

What about CopyWriter?
    Have a look at the plugins.
    BTW It's free too. :D

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Attached Files:

• 153.GIF
      153.GIF
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
  4. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

5. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Hi bellgamin

I was looking for a replacement Wordpad App the other week, and after numerous searches and trials i settled on this one.

WordTabs

WordTabs is a free word processor that's both a standard text editor (like Notepad) and a rich text (RTF) editor (like WordPad).

WordTabs uses the latest RTF technology so you can have access to OLE objects, Internet URLs, multiple undo/redo, and advanced line/character formatting.

Other features include spell checking, drag-and-drop text editing, word count, case conversion, find-and-replace, a multi-clipboard text editor, and complete glossary function.

http://www.5star-shareware.com/Windows/Business/WordProcessing/wordtabs.html

StevieO

6. bellgamin

It isn't going to be easy.

@Eldar- CopyWriter's website says it doesn't work well on files >64K.

@Tassie_Devils- Yes, EditPadLite is a programmer's dream come true... BUT it doesn't do rtf. It will load rtf but it won't edit using rich text. You can spot the *true* rtf editiors because they will usually have a box for directly changing font, & will ALWAYS have buttons for bold, italics, & underline.

@GUI_Tex- Yep, snapfiles is one of my favorite d/l sites. Unfortunately, all but one of their programs does plain text only. The one exception is Angel Writer which is quite good BUT hyperlinks don't work.

@StevieO- I'm a long-time fan of Skip Bremer's. I wonder where he went off to? In any event, WordTabs is superb but it takes forever to load on my granddaughter's WinME machine. Even so we will have to stay with it for the time being.

Maybe what I'm looking for -- a small, fast, simple rtf editor -- doesn't exist.

7. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

CodePad 4.02

Code Editor with syntax highlight, code templates, columnar blocks, undo and redo, multiple clipboards, bookmarks, go to line and go to bookmark, highlight URLs, export to RTF and HTML, documents history, drag&drop, line highlight, world wrap, line separator, multi language support, ASCII table, built-in syntax definition and code template editor, multi files support, file association, send document via email (as attachment too), insert date/time/GUID, upper/lower/invert case and capitalize, draw special symbols, match bracket, to-do compatible with Delphi, user actions, document tabs, double edit window, full customizable colors setting, up to 35 syntax definitions (i.e. ASP, assembler, AWK, batch, C, C++ Builder, CSS1, CSS2, Fortran, FoxPro, HTML, ini files, Java Builder, JScript, Modula 2, Oberon, Object Pascal, Perl, PHP, PLSQL, Python, SQL, tcltk, Visual Basic, XML, ...)

Hex Editor with bookmarks, go to offset and go to bookmark, hex/octal/decimal offset display, text/data search and replace, draw special symbols, undo, full customizable colors set

http://shicola.wz.cz/codepad/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoloPad is a richtext editor with the power to serve as a word processor, and the simplicity to serve as a basic notepad. SoloPad allows you to edit a text file simply and easily with an easy to use interface. It comes with all the standard features of a richtext editor, such as different fonts and font sizes, different font attributes (bold, italics, underline), paragraph alignment, bullets, a ruler, and search capabilities.

Features:
    Supports RichText files (rtf)
    Supports all fonts, font sizes, and colors
    Provides an in-text search
    Provides a ruler for page and tab settings
    Supports the standard text attributes (bold, italic, underline)
    Supports paragraph alignment (left, center, right)
    Allows you to add bullets to your text
    Has all the functionality of a word processor
    Simple with an easy to use interface

http://www.solostar.ca/software/solopad/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSPad editor

PSPad editor is freeware programmer editor, useful for people who:

work with various programming environments
    like highlighted syntax in code
    need a small tool with simple controls and the capabilities of a mighty code editor

http://www.pspad.com/en/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCAN BEFORE USE...........programs are un-known to me......CAUTION AS ALWAYS

8. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

This is well featured, light & has a free version:-

Notetab

9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Oops! Although I've it installed, I never used it much.
    Good to know it doesn't handle 64k files well. :doubt:

I do use NoteTab Pro from Fookes though and it's not that that expensive.
    You can choose from 3 versions: light, standard or pro.
    It also replaces your Windows NotePad if you want to.
    Great little app to work with. :thumb:

Edit: BWord: Full Featured Text/RTF Editor
    Haven't tried it, but will when I get home. :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Another one and also free: DmEdit :D :cool:

12. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

13. bellgamin

@Mrkvonic- Yes, AbiWord is superb. In fact, it's a full-fledged word processor -- much much better than MS WordPad -- & much more capability than merely a rich text editor. However, it's too much size & power for my needs. All I want is a simple rtf editor.

@Eldar- DmEdit... gotta love that "Foute link? klik hier!" Is that Dutch or what? It might be okay but NO font box & no Bold/Italics/Underline buttons.
    BWord is programmed in Visual Basic. Plus, after unzipping its 50K file (waaaay too small to be realistic) I couldn't find an exe.
    Text Shield Fusion-- ohhhh YES! It is just perfect for my needs. How in the world did that programmer get so much capability into a small package? I hope you get as much (or more) satisfaction and pleasure in using this excellent program as I do. Aloha & my sincere gratitude for your help.

THANKS to everyone for all your help!!!

14. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Do you mean that link doesn't work?
    It works for me.
    Oh yes, it's Dutch. :D (wrong link? - click here!)
    Haven't tried it though, but from the screenshot it doesn't have those features. :doubt:
    :rolleyes: Found that out when I got home. Hmm ...
    Glad to be of help bellgamin. ;)
    BTW It's really a fantastic app. I sure will have a lot of pleasure working with it, instead of WordPad.
    Already removed CopyWriter too.

Have a great weekend all. :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.