Trying to decide between Nord and Mulvad

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by n8chavez, Dec 22, 2018.

1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'm trying to decide between Nord and Mulvad. I've been a user of Mullvad for a long time now and I like it very much. What worries me with it is it's native app; it's just sooo horrible. That means I have to use others, such as viscosity, which does not have it's features. I do like Mullvad's ability to use proxy through VPN connections (10.x.x.x). That prevents any communication should the vpn go down, acting like a second kill-switch. This also allows me to be more restrictive my firewall rules.

Nord, on the other hand, is also very intriguing. It's very highly rated by almost everyone. I get faster speeds than I do with Mullvad (for servers in the same city), and much better native app with DNS blocking, dropped connection blocked via route rules and a literal kill-switch list. It does not offer proxy through VPN connections. However the deal, 3 years for $107 is quite good.

Does anyone have experience with other providers that offer proxy through VPN connections? Is that really needed? What's your preferred of the two? Thoughts?

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

nord is mediocre at best. i'd go with mullvad between the two. don't use 3rd party apps, especially closed source ones, use stock ovpn sw instead. even viscosity is better than using nord's own app. bear in mind that the so called "kill switch" and "dns leak" mechanisms are just techy toys and always bound to fail. again, refer to mirimir's posts on vm's, pfsense & nested chains. proxy thru vpn provides no real benefit. it does not and cannot "act like a second kill-switch [sic]".
    stick with the wilders favs: insorg, ivpn, mullvad.

also see these threads:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thr...h-for-code-execution-bug.408013/#post-2779943
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/vpn-providers-customer-service.406931/#post-2775207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.