Trying out WyvernWorks Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by StevieO, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I saw the WyvernWorks Firewall 2004 mentioned in here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=120685 which i had never heard of before, so i searched the forum and found a few references to it.

What appealed to me was the fact that you can disable the FW part of it, and just run the application layer protection, which i have done. Install was a breeze and configuring was very quick, and CPU consumption averages out at around 2%. I've enabled everything in Services, and in Customise in the Protection tab too just to see what happens, even though i have some services etc already disabled on my PC.

The Tasks Allowed and Tasks Blocked permissions buttons seem to be swapped over though ?

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2231/wyvern16wq.png

It needs to act as a local server at 0.0.0.0 on port 20034.

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/6955/wyserv12qd.png

I tested both of these options seperately by including one App and rebooting both times. It didn't seem to make any difference though, as i could run it as normal. Have i set things up correctly in this App, or is it not working as intended ? I tried the Internet Lock for a few minutes, and that worked by stopping me reaching any sites, even though a request still goes out through my ZA FW.

I havn't had any issues with it yet, but that's maybe because either it's not doing anything, or i missing something !

Anybody got any ideas ?

TIA

StevieO

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

How did you disable the firewall part of it? Is it on the Protection tab? Just curious...

3. StevieO

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, thanks StevieO... might just try it out tonight. I would be interested in just using the app portion also..

5. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

maybe this is the solution to using windows firewall + this

6. StevieO

As well as the apparent role reversals of the Tasks Allowed and Tasks Blocked permissions buttons, the tray icon only responds with left clicking, not right ! I wonder if the developer was left handed ? Not that it makes much difference, but i've never experienced this before on any App.

Kerodo and metallicakid15 have you managed to have a play with it yet, or is anybody else considering doing so, as i'd like to hear your opinion/input on it ?

StevieO

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I did actually play with it a little last night, but wasn't much impressed. It appeared to let my time sync service thru without asking, which was kinda weird. But other apps worked ok. Not sure what was going on, or if I somehow made a mistake, but I removed it after about a half hour. Also could not get it to load at Windows startup. Oh well..

8. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

ya i also removed it

9. nicM

nicM nico-nico

...I did remove it very quickly too, when I'd installed it last week : it's very light, it seems to work, but I did felt as if it doesn't allow as much "control" as some other firewalls do.

Though it could be interesting as an app filter, upon a packet-filter; some people are using ZA for this purpose (ie with CHX), FW 2004 is an alternative then :) .

I think I will maybe reinstall it soon, in fact I did remove it too quickly ! :D

Cheers,
    nicM

10. StevieO

Kerodo and metallicakid15

At least you both gave it a try out, if only briefly. I found that it didn't auto start up too, and had to add it in with the help of Winpatrol, which is always very easy and quick to do with WP.

nicM

When you do please post back with your observations in app mode, as that's all i want it for, not the FW.

Thanks

StevieO

11. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hi StevieO,

I just reinstalled it, because I'm giving a try with CHX-I, and I wanted to see if Wyvernworks can play well with it, to add App filtering to CHX.

The good point is that you can use app filtering in Wyvernworks while the "internet firewall" setting disabled (app filtering is still working). However, the app filtering part is limitated : it can't deal with "system" connections :doubt: ... And the connections alerts are strange, too : you get a "possible trojan communication" warning everytime a program is connecting... :D .

So, nice little firewall, but too much limitations IMHO.

Cheers,
    nicM

12. StevieO

Hi nicM

Good to hear back from you !

App filtering is the only reason i wanted to try it too, as i mentioned. I'm looking forward to finding out how you get on with it. Please include a screen shot or two, so we can see your settings etc.

Thanks

StevieO

13. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Well, sorry but both CHX and WyvernW are gone from my system... I had crazy problems yesterday,and I finally discovered CHX was the cause (constant 100 % cpu and no way to start Windows anymore :ouch: ) - it started right when I was typing my previous post, so I didn't even have time to write everything, and I had no choice but to load a previous image without CHX (after 2 hours of playing around :doubt: to try to fix it)...

But as I started to say yesterday, I think WyvernW does offer a limitated control on apps (allow all/block all for each), and it can't detect system communications at all. Everytime a program connects to port 80, you get a "possible trojan detected- Back End" alert, and so on for every port listed in WyvernW's list, so it can be used for basic app filtering purposes but I think it's missing "peps".

There are very few settings to modify, then I've no interesting screenshots to post - all I've done is to unload the "internet filtering" in the main tab.

The only advantage of this FW finally is it's very easy to use o_O

Cheers,
    nicM

14. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

There goes to show, shouldn’t install two or more software firewalls together… :D

15. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Hehe ;) , in fact all started with the windows update client yesterday, then I'm not sure WyvernWorks FW is involved (the only cure was actually to remove CHX, to get rid of desktop lockdown), but sure it doesn't help to have several FWs...

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.