Trying out FD ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by djg05, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been playing around with it a bit more and discovered it is not a panacea. Thought I would try out Paragon Suite 2008 and was trying out various options. Was just looking at the Boot Menu it has and it installed without giving a final chance to back out of it. It worked ok but did not want to use it. Used FD to recover and it failed. Seems, at least in this instance, it does not protect the boot sector. Result was that the other partitions were lost. Took a lot of messing around with partition programs and eventually it was ATI that got back at least the primary. As an aside, I have found that File Scavenger is my absolute saviour. You can trash your partitions but it will still recover all your files.

Have been meaning to install a new HD for some time and this was a good opportunity.

Putting FD Rescue back again I found that this new disk only took 7 minutes to do the original copy (same size), and yes you are right that subsequent ones take much less.

Still feel that this is too limited to be worth the money.

2. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Had a somewhat similar experience, using FDISR to get rid of an RBx clone-FD gave a BSOD.

The obvious lesson is that such apps which are embedded in the boot menu and need a reboot to complete the uninstall, cant be rolled back with FD.

3. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Tony,

I played some more with FD-ISR and with your help I was able to update/copy my secondary snapshot from my primary snapshot.

It took about 15 minutes as opposed to the original snapshot taking 1 hour and 19 minutes, so as you and Peter stated much less time to refresh a snapshot.

I also "created an empty snapshot" with my original Win xp mce 05 disc. That took awhile but I completed it.

So now I have a primary and a secondary snapshot and the empty snapshot with xp so I'm good to go.

I'm learning a lot here. Heck, maybe I'll try a restore with Acronis soon.

Thanks to all,

John

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi John

Which version are you playing with.

Pete

5. wideglide36

Hey Pete,

Using FD-ISR Pro
    Ver. 3.21 build 205

John

6. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

Very disturbing - seems it is a major weakness with my most trusted recovery program, if I am understanding this correctly. Anyone have any further info/comments?

Rob

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

HDS disapproves any combination of FDISR and RBRx, although FDISR-users usually ignored that warning.
    I don't combine any ISR-software with FDISR, because they do a similar job.

8. Hairy Coo

Wouldnt be too concerned,as its fairly logical that RBx or any other app thats embedded within the boot sequence to appear prior to Windows starting,cant be made to disappear just by choosing another Windows snapshot.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. Peter2150

You have to understand limitations. FDISR can't modify MBR or Partition Tables. That is how it does it's thing. You need an image to do that.

10. Peter2150

Hi John

I asked because you can play with archives, although you really need another disk. That opens some incredible opportunities.

Pete

11. wideglide36

Pete,

Do tell.

I have an external Western Digital 250 gb hard drive that is getting full pretty quickly with ATI images.

John

12. Peter2150

Damn, typed out a full response and then lost it. Anyway make some room and take an archive of your primary. Play with that, and I'll repost tomorrow evening. Grrr.

Pete

13. Hairy Coo

Also disabling the PreBoot should apparently be carried out,when installating/uninstalling apps. which modify your MBR ,such as RBx

14. Peter2150

I didn't bother with that when I played with Rollback, since FDISR is not in the MBR any longer. It worked okay, but was touchy.

15. Hairy Coo

Pete,

Is it possible to use FDISR a bit like HIR-keep archives and after a hard disk failure-just restore the appropriate archive?

16. Peter2150

Sure. For example, I have restored, the first images I took on my machines when I got them, and then used FDISR to restore the machine to it's current state.

The most extreme example. I did an update install of Vista, so I can play. I usually switch between Vista and XP by restoring images. Once while I had Vista on, I switched to my secondary, and restored my primary XP archive to my Primary snapshot. It completely and properly changed it back to XP. Obviously took quite a bit longer then restoring the image, but hey it worked. You just can't get more robust than that.

What you could do is say your machine had it's hard drive replace, and you did a clean windows install. I would just install FDISR. Then I would restore my stripped secondary from it's archive, and boot to it. Then restore the primary archive and be good to go.

The only place this would be a problem might be if the hardware used radically different drivers. The difference say with SP's HIR restore, is loaded with drivers that will get you up and running, and also allows you to load disk drivers that you might normally have to F6 in. FDISR archives wouldn't give you that flexibiltity, so the archives would work as long as their aren't driver issues.

Pete

17. Hairy Coo

Pete

Rather amazing for such a seemingly simple app
    What is a "stripped secondary"please?

18. Peter2150

My Primary contains all my working software, Quickbooks, MS Office, and I could go on and on.

My Secondary, is just Windows and Online Armor for protection. Thats it. All I use it for is a place to boot so I can copy from an archive to my primary.

I do this as 1) it is faster copying from/to archives than snapshot, and 2) reduces the size of images compared to having 2 full snapshots.

Pete

PS you are right it is amazing. This is why some of us are, shall we say, enamored with FDISR.

19. Hairy Coo

Thanks,beginning to understand the love affair of the century-better than Fred and Ginger!

edit-another question please-its understood that Rollback will soon sell the server version under its own name.

Are the server and Pro versions the same.

If this is the case presumably the price difference would be explained, by enabling decent commercial support etc.to be given and a viable profit achieved.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  20. wideglide36

Pete,

I made an archive of my secondary snapshot because it should be an exact copy of my primary snapshot. 23gb took 54 minutes to complete. I assume its faster than a normal snapshot because of the compression.

Couple comments and some questions.

I had earlier went to options and selected my external drive as the destination to archive snapshots.

When you watch the archive being created there is no indication as to where it is going to. I thought that there would be and I was not sure until I actually checked my external drive after the archive was finished.

I also was a little confused as to how to create an archive.

I didn't know if you used the export feature or went to copy/update to create the archive. I would have thought that under the tools menu there would have been an option to create an archive.

Questions:

1. Do you always exclude .tmp files when archiving or copying/updating a snapshot?

2. Is anchored data included in an archive?

3. Exactly what do you do with archives and how many archives should you create?

Thanks a ton,

John

21. Peter2150

Good questions. To set the archive location, go to tools>options>archives click on specify alternate option location, and then you can set it there.

To create the archive you do a copy/update, where the snapshot is the source and then select new archive(or one that exists) as the destination.

Yes I always exclude tmp files.

I don't think anchored data is included. I don't anchor so I am not positive.
    I don't anchor as my data isn't huge. Also I don't partition, so I want the archive to represent the disk.

You can use archives to keep as many different things as you want, without taking up space on your c: drive.

One way is the way I normally do, which I described above. Something else I've done for example, when I was using office 2003 but wanted to play with the 2007 then beta. I updated my normal primary archive, then upgraded to the 2007 beta. I wanted to be able to play with it without messing up my normal work. So once installed, and I was done for the moment, I created a separate archive. This way I could switch back and forth. Also by not anchoring, I didn't care what 2007 did to data, when I restored my original archive everything was back to normal.

Note you can also do this with images, but in this case FDISR was faster by far.

Pete

22. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Anchored objects are not included in snapshots and therefore not included in archives either.
    I don't anchor objects, it makes my frozen snapshot vulnerable, although other users, don't seem to be worried about this, when I read posts about other ISR-softwares, like ShadowDefender or any other ISR-software that allows to exclude (= anchor) objects.
    A frozen system partition + exclusions/anchoring = Swiss cheese.
    All ISR-softwares have that problem : How to keep good changes without exclusions ?

23. wideglide36

Pete,

Thanks for all that info. I will play around with it some more.

Erik,

Thank you for your help too.

Tony, Same as Erik, Thanks,

djg05, My apologies again for horning in.

Thanks to all,

John

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

We shouldn't get precious about threads we start - we are here to learn and share information. So long as it remains close, what is there to worry about - glad you dropped in.

25. wideglide36

Well said. You are absolutely right.

Thanks.
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.