Trying out ATI 2009 - Can't restore Windows Partition.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by duartix, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duartix

duartix Registered Member

I've made a few backups of my new HP 730b laptop (since this is install week) and since a few days ago I'v got WMIPRVSE.EXE burning a lot of CPU and Network resources.
    So I was on my way to restore my Windows Partition to a few days before when I was puzzled by the way it works.

Older versions of ATI had a different behavior when I'm restoring my Windows Partition.
    They would boot, load a basic GUI (linux I suppose) and restore from there since (and I agree that) it's not a good idea to restore the system you are using to restore, but not this time...
    ATI 2009 goes about restoring it LIVE.
    "Well, here's something new!" - I thought.
    The problem is that I get the following message:

Access is denied.
    You are possibly trying to work with another user'
    documents or folders when working with 'Agent.ini'.

I'm sure I'm doing something very wrong...
    Anyone care to say what?

Thanks,
    Duarte Bruno.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Are you trying to restore using the bootCD? You could try that.

3. duartix

No, but that's something I can try. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Yet, is it normal for ATI to restore the Windows System Partition while still running it?

4. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

No, ATI is not designed to restore in this fashion. It's supposed to trigger a reboot to a Linux environment before performing this task (which involves deleting the system partition (and any other selected partitions) first before starting the actual restoration of the backed up partition(s)). Thus, it appears that there was a problem with the reboot portion of this process when you ran it.

Per the previous response, you should try the restore from the bootable rescue media. FWIW, this is the only way I do it.

Doug

5. duartix

This started as nuisance now it's a real issue.
    I really must be doing something very wrong...and perhaps it was at backup time.

I can't restore the whole partition from this recent backup, I can only restore files, but ATI either won't restore the Windows Boot Files (like NTDLR and others) or as I've deleted the whole data from the disk, it will recover all files from the image to c:\Drive (c)\ which is pretty useless.

Now between mad and madder, I found out that a previous backup (1 week older) would restore as whole partition, so I'm going to take the loss and go with it.

Still I would like to restore to my last backup, but since the trial ends up tomorrow I guess I'll have to settle with the damage I can take.

ATI 2009 Home Edition - 0 / ATI 10 Server - 10

2009?, no thanks, I'll keep v10.
    Thank you everyone for the invaluable assistance, I couln't make it without it.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis Software!

duartix, if there is no option to restore the partition from the image then most probably it means that this backup was created as 'Data' (file level) backup instead of disk/partition backup and it's explaining why the files you were restoring from your image were recovered as 'c:\Drive (c)\' folder. Also it's explaining the behavior of Acronis True Image 2009 during initial restoration within Windows OS without prompting you to reboot your computer, because in most cases the reboot is not required for Data level restoration.

Thank you,
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.