Try&Decide not boot in rest in try mode

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wokoenig, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wokoenig

wokoenig Registered Member

Hello forum,
    I want to install a program in try mode. This program needs to reboot after installation. If I will reboot Try&decide appears and I have the choose to rest in try mode .
    I choose this option because I want test my new program after reboot.
    But I cannot reboot , always appears the question again if I want to rest in try mode or discard the try.
    What happens there?:(

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is known as the new built in Catch 22 feature.

3. wokoenig

Thx for the answear
    but I don't understand what you mean.<s> There is an update??
    I never can test a program what need a reboot because Try/Decide want always my decide to keep the change or lost thechange(than he reboot) or rest in try mode without rebooting.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Sorry to have confused you with my attempt at humour.
    "Catch 22" is a set of rules or situation from which there is no escape. Sometimes known as a double bind.

Xpilot

5. DerPriester1970

DerPriester1970 Registered Member

I dont test this new feature completely, but if this is true that you must make a choice if a program needs a reboot, the function is done out of a sin.
    Then I must say: Nothing is programmed with a clear brain. Why the developers don´t consider this. Every Security Suite needs a reboot. What kind of programm you can test ? Oh my god, is this a crap. Feed your trashcan with this software. 1. Confusing new interface. 2. No raid stripe function at this time. 3. Try&Decide can only function with programms which need no reboot.

removed editorial - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  6. wokoenig

Ah..now I understand :)
    I hope that the support answer here to find a solution for the "double bind" ;)

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It's like the applications backup feature that came out in ATI 10 but only worked for old versions of programs. A silly addition of very limited use and rather silly. The description of it on the Acronis website sounds pretty good; but once you find out out the reboot catch 22, you find out they didn't tell you the most important thing.

8. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I agree here. On one hand the feature is really convenient, I was able to install WinpCap and Nmap on Vista, to use them, then to discard the changes and to reboot. On the other hand, if you want to test a beta software, that needs to reboot to complete it's setup, Try&Decide is useless in this case.

Regards,
    gkweb.

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

All True image users already have a far better "Try&Decide" ability than the present Version 11 offering.
    It works like this : You make a full image of your OS partition or even the whole HDD.
    Now install, download or do anything good or bad.
    If you are happy with the results just carry on as normal. If you don't want to keep what you have been trying out just run a restore of the image you saved earlier. Problem solved.

This is how I handled TI 11 and got rid of it with no pain.

Xpilot

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The only advantage of try&decide over just doing a restore is that you boot and you dont' have to go through the restore process (booting linux, etc.) because it clears out the test stuff as soon as you reboot --- not wait, that's the problem with try&decide. . . ;-)

11. naap

naap Registered Member

it would be useful the possibility to choose to discard/not to discard changes on the reboot(yes, you must be sure then the computer will boot normally after installing that program). in fact making a complete backup requires space and time that someone could not have. or a "radar" that automatically, in case you choose not to deiscard changes at reboot, discard changes if the computer doesn't boot normally. i think it's more probable the first eheh!

12. wokoenig

Hi..
    this I did with all earlier Versions. But a) its longer in the time than "try&decide"
    b) after restore I cannot make a incremental backup..the netx backup has to be a full.
    T&D is a nice and fast feature . I hope they fix the problem with booting programs.

13. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have been reading through the posts on Try&Decide and now see that it will not survive a reboot. If I try a program out I may need 5 minutes or several days to see if I want to keep it or not.

Try&Decide is the only thing that would tempt me to upgrade from ver 9. It seems I would be better putting my money towards FD-ISR instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.