Trusteer Rapport

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The two AVs I am using on my computers both have a Safe mode for financial transactions, etc. However, overall I find the Safe Money of Kaspersky cumbersome to use. It takes several times longer for a site to open than if I were not using Safe Money.
    Avast has a sandbox capability for the browsers, but they are not nearly trouble free. I can surf with the SafeMode.

After using Trusteer and learning of its conflicts with the AVs I use, I think I will be able to avoid problems, and am going to use Trusteer for secure transactions with banks, ebay, and Paypal. It is easier to protect a certain site if desired than the sandbox or Safe Money.
    I'll see how it goes, and if I encounter a problem that changes my mind I will post it.

Jerry

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks Jerry ,your findings are very value:thumb:

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There was a whitepaper about Trusteer rapport and how it works. It doesn't do very much to keep you secure - the White Paper makes it really clear.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Trusteer Rapport is a huge resource hog also.:thumbd:

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

All I know is that Trusteer scored 100% on the Matousec test. I don’t know anything about white papers, but if you can show that something is better and not more complicated, I’ll take a look. It has to be free. In fact I have never had a penetration, and don’t think I would even without more protection. If it comes basically free I am willing to see if it works for me. But I don’t want to spend time tweaklng or fixing some application.

I don’t worry about resources unless it slows down my computer, which Trusteer does not. It works snappily, and much better than Safe Money, which is slow.

I am not a special fan of Trusteer, but will see how it works, and if it does well I will use it.

Jerry

6. Trusteer Support

Trusteer Support Registered Member

7. vojta

vojta Registered Member

There was a white paper about your finances and how they work. It states that you must give me one million dollars - the White Paper makes it really clear.

Come on I'm waiting for my money. You cannot oppose to the White Paper, no need of links, or sources. I don't have to prove anything, give me my money.

8. Junk. Do not use.

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

And another super useful post full of information. Have you found new arguments since this thread? Because "I don't believe it" is not good enough for me:

www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=332786

If you do online banking apps like this are your last line of defense and definitely useful:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Kasp...t-Against-Online-Payment-Threats-278953.shtml

-http://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MRG-Effitas-Online-Banking-Browser-Security-Project-3.pdf-

About it's impact on performance, it's very light on my pc. Others may experience problems of course, there aren't two identical windows installations.

10. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Is it ? Have you tested it ? Do you have any stats ?

Do you have a link ?

On your solid and informative advice, I will remove it from my system immediately :rolleyes:

I seem to remember a program on the BBC click , where a MITB ( zeus ) was tested. A lot of top AV;s failed, trusteer rapport passed.

11. Hungry Man

Here you go: (skip to 4:30 to get to the talk otherwise it's just boring background stuff, he's a reverse engineer etc)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EimZQgt7WPg

http://www.digit-security.com/blog/?p=333

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wonder why the banks offer it then?

13. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Re: The Hammer:

Because it works...it works despite the one PoC. How much gear do we use and vet at wilders that is circumvented far more than once.

This is one of those things. It's cool to hate Trusteer. At Least around here.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I do believe that the various banks have some sharp software and security people. Since some/many of them use Trusteer Rapport, I have more confidence in them in total, than someone who has no credentials that I am aware of.

The few tests or articles I have seen, and the acceptance by banks, persuades me that Trusteer is as good as you can reasonably do to protect your on-line transactions.

If you who are bad mouthing it will establish your expertise and credentials as recognized by true experts I will pay attention. Otherwise, I just consider the bad mouthing to be baloney/nonsense.

I sure does run well on my systems, and I cannot tell it is there.

Jerry

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I see Trusteer is compatible with Avira AntiVir Personal. What about Premium? Also does it uninstall easily?

16. Hungry Man

Lol... "despite the one POC" there's a conference and papers detailing how it works and how to break it in multiple ways. I mean even if they didn't use terrible encryption (not really encryption - they may have fixed it at this point) there's multiple ways to break it. It was demonstrated to be defeated in a mere 10 lines of code - again, design issues, not even going into the fake encryption (nothing but a substitution cipher).

The source of information should be irrelevant if the information is brought through the scientific method ie: testing and showcasing the hypothesis. That said, the sources are legitimate and the guy presenting works for a security company.

I think anyone who can read the Digit Security blog and watch that video and still say they trust Trusteer (because Banks tell them to of all the reasons) is deluded. The information is laid out in front of you, demonstrated, and explained. Bypassing it takes only a few simple lines of code.

Read the information presented to you if you want a full story.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

{The source of information should be irrelevant if the information is brought through the scientific method }

Nonsense. Try to establish that ICBM defensive missiles are whatever you desire, and see if the source is important or not.

Prove that Trusteer is not good, and do it by scientific tests or some scientists who have recognized credentials if you expect to have any credibility in your claims. So far it has been just talk.
    I am not a fanboy of Trusteer or any security application, but I don't accept such lack of proof as you have been putting out. If you want to be believed then offer proof that we can sink our teeth into.

Until then, I will place my trust in the banks, and tests that I have seen, and consider reliable. In fact I am not interested in more of the bad mouthing I have seen without anything that establishes that it is less that excellent at what it does.

I might add that its Support is most excellent.
    If you do not like Trusteer then don't use it, but you are wasting your time attempting to convince some of us.
    I'll take my chances with it.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. Hungry Man

Did you actually watch the video? It was demonstrated.

How can you state there's a lack of proof? There' 45 minutes of a guy breaking down how it works and explaining the flaws and then demonstrating how easy it is to bypass it. And it's not just one or two flaws and they're not little either.

19. Stranger and dumber things have happened than banks pushing software that doesn't work.

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Have you any proof that Trusteer doesn't work? Do you have proof that Kaspersky Safe Money does not provide the security they claim or that the Matousec tests were not accurate?

Until very recently I have never used anything special when doing financial transactions, and had no infections. I don't really care if they work or not. My argument is not based upon a fanboy type argument. I do question how some here with no evident qualifications make claims that reputable testing organizations don't know what they are doing, or claim that a certain AV is junk without any proof except their own assumptions not based upon any evidence by experts, such as AV-C or similar recognized organizations.

I often think of the old saying, "Them that can do, them that can't are critics."
    Jerry

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  21. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Hungry Man: "Lol... 'despite the one POC'."

LOL...agreed. But you know what I mean. I see two major points in the 44con movie that I skimmed.

Weak encryption & weak self-protection.

As to weak encryption, and if I grasp him correctly, this dynamic subbing should only weaken or shorten brute forcing by realising repetition between characters. It weakens your randomness, surely, but weak and obvious in totality? No! If you use strong and long passwords ABCDEFGHIJKLA....XYZ is not really that helpful. You know X characters repeat, the rest don't. That's it. Suggesting if your password is actually ABCDEF, it won't work, is rather dumb, IMO. Because I have a solution ;)

The weak self-protection. It was a directed attack, not a general bypass. This is extremely important. It was then fixed when realised. What more do you freggin want. Perfect code and design? Well that ain't going to happen. Sorry. What white hats are for, right?

Per your very own sources:

"t is important to understand that no current malware is known to utilise said flaws and as such uninstalling Trusteer Rapport on your system is not a solution nor is it advisable. Until such a time as malware developers take into account the presence of Trusteer Rapport, Rapport is still effective against existing malware."

Not many can say they have been 100% effective in the wild and even via obscurity.

I have a feeling though, that despite any further tests etc that show positive results, you will always--as others will--hate trusteer. It's just one of those things, I guess.

22. LOL the bbc... right. I get all my tech news from them yikes :thumbd:

23. fax

fax Registered Member

As already said in here many times I think the point is that Trusteer is not bad overall but there are more robust solutions out there that do not suffer from these structural flows. So, if you aim at best possible protection against web hijacks and stealers then Trusteer is not for you. If you look for a basic free solution that may do the job then you can use it.

And if Trusteer wants to improve its image it should clearly describe how they addressed those flows permanently rather than recommending contacting support :)

24. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

I'm sorry ! And you are who exactly ? You post on here, saying something recommended by banks is junk, without absolutely no reasoning or proof, then have resort to snide remarks , in an attempt , to make yourself appear less stupid.
    The BBC certainly have more credibility than you .
    Here is the video ( part 1 of 2 ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnZMwXCkyw Sorry having problem posting link

The test was carried out by Sec21 ( 8 mins into the video ) . Ironically in 2010 they posted on their blog about how zeus was able to disable Rapport http://securityblog.s21sec.com/2010/04/killing-enemy.html To which Rapport updated the program

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  25. fax

fax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.