trueimg_bartpe.xml & FSecure

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jmahoney, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmahoney

jmahoney Registered Member

When I run a virus scan using FSecure, it hits a file called trueimg_bartpe.xml and never gets past it. I have let it run for half an hour, and still it never gets past the file.

The file is in c:\documents & settings\john1\MyDocum...\trueimg_bartpe.xml

and I'm assuming it's part of Acronis Trueimage software!

Using windows explorer I cannot find the .xml file - and yes I have turned on view hidden files.

Can anyone suggest what is going on?

Many thanks

John

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello John,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you have downloaded the instalation file of Acronis True Image from Acronis web-site, we guarantee that this file doesn't contain any viruses.

I'm afraid that this problem is not related to Acronis software. We recommend you to contact Support Team of your AntVirus software in order to eliminate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. jmahoney

Thanks for reply.

Yes, did download from your site. Was originally supplied with a bakup hard drive, but I upgraded via your site.

Spoke to F-Secure - same response as yourselves. It's definitely nothing to do with our antivirus software - take it up with Acronis.

As F-Secure worked perfectly until I installed Acronis True Image I'm putting it down to your software.

As you cannot solve the matter. I have deleted your software and will choose some other method of backing up my computer. Unfortunately it seems I'm going to have to junk the mydocuments folder and rebuild it in order to get rid of the xml file I mentioned before.

John

4. b_k

b_k Registered Member

just one thing:
    with upgrade, do you mean you installed the new version over the old build or did you uninstall the old build first?

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

This should be as simple as telling your antivirus software to ignore that particular file.

Is that capability not included in the antivirus software.

This problem hasn't seemed to come up with other antivirus software, so perhaps your antivirus vendor is wrong about it not be something about their software.

sh

6. jmahoney

Cannot remember if I uninstalled original version and then reinstalled new version.

I'll give it a whirl - but I'm not hopeful.

Cannot understand why I am unable to see and delete the offending file.

John

7. b_k

b_k Registered Member

and i didnt even find that file on my system. in no one of the "docs & settings" folders.
    but i have to mention, i am running TI Home 9.0.3.641 German here.

8. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I just checked my English version of TI9 Home, build 3633 and the file you mention 'trueimg_bartpe.xml' doesn't exist here. You might try doing a search for it. Start > Search > For Files or Folders. Go to More advanced options and check the box 'Search hidden files and folders'. Enter the file name and let Windows search for it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  9. b_k

b_k Registered Member

i go and try WIXedit on Acronis MSI installer. Just checking if there is such a file in there.

if it got the MSI package out right, there is only one .XML file in there. and that is acronis_nu2menu.xml. i dont find anything else in the msi, named .xml.

10. jmahoney

Thanks for all the replies.

Tried reinstalling. Again, no luck.

F-Secure, a fairly well-respected anti-virus program, still comes up against this .xml brick wall.

Can anyone at Acronis comment on whether the program installs such a hidden file in MyDocuments?

John

11. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hi jmahoney,

The files with .xml extension in connection with BartPE are plugin setup files, one for each BartPE plugin. They are not hidden and they are normally located in the folders where each plugin is being stored.

I have TI9 build 3567 and Bart Pebuilder installed, but no trace of trueimg_bartpe.xml. What I do have is acronis_nu2menu.xml in C:\Program Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\BartPE\. That's the way it should be.

Anyway, having a BartPE setup file in your MyDocuments folder is strange. The file itself not showing up in Explorer may be a sign of corruption, since the .xml files I'm talking about are certainly not hidden.

I would suggest you run chkdsk C: /r (will start after rebooting).

Could also be an infection that sneaked past FSecure. You may want to try an online scan with Panda or Trend Micro.

12. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

John,
    It might be helpful to state the Acronis product name and the build number that you are using. An additional concern is that earlier you stated that the software was provided with a backup hard drive and that you later upgraded it. If the older software was a demo/trial version and it wasn't uninstalled before upgrading, problems could arise.

In the many years that I have worked with this stuff I have never observed an application placing files in the My Documents folder, hidden or otherwise. The file may exist but in your saying that you have enabled Windows Explorer to show hidden files you should be able to see it. Hopefully you ran the search that I mentioned above. Is it possible that F-Secure has a setting that blocks files with an .xml extension? Many antivirus programs have the capability of letting the user allow or block certain files in the e-mail options.

13. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi John,

The file "trueimg_bartpe.xml" is definetly included in the installer file for True Image 9. I had to dig very deep to find it. I don't know for sure, but I think it is only used by the installer to control the installation of the BartPE plugin to the hard drive. It doesn't appear to be permanently written to the hard drive. It certainly isn't a BartPE file.

I suggest you run RegEdit and do a search for the file name. You should find it in only two locations under the heading of search assistant. This is because you searched for it with Windows Explorer. If you find it anywhere else, try deleting the reference and see if that fixes your problem.

mustang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.