Trueimage Home 11 does not recognize TIB file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by golubovski, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golubovski

golubovski Registered Member

Hello,

I hope somebody can help me. I bought a Gateway laptop with two TIB images - Vista x64 and XP x32. The guy who sold me does not remember which version of Acronis Trueimage Enterprise Server had been used to generate both of them (most probably 9.1.xxxx). Now I cannot open them with version Home 11.

Is there a way to convert TIB files between versions? If not, is there a way to determine which version of Trueimage made them?

Versions non-compatibility is really outrageous and this is a first time I learn about software being structured this way.

Thanks in advance!

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hmmm... Seems you are very annoyed that software that you don't own won't work for you. Under such circumstances such a self-righteous tone seems a bit inappropriate. :)

Why don't you ask the person who sold you the Gateway to give you a copy of the TI Enerprise Server boot CD so that you can restore the images. While you're at it, you should ask him for the original Microsoft Windows installation DVDs that came with the two versions of Windows on the backups if you didn't get those when you bought the system.

3. golubovski

Hello John,

Thank you for being helpful! The Gateway is OEM licenced for the Vista x64 Home Premium. He had purchased XP x32 licence at a discount for downgrade to use it for some instrumentation stuff. Tha Acronis Home is also legal for him. The Acronis Server is licenced on his company but he cannot locate the verison he had used!

Currently I need to replace the XP with the 64bit Vista for some purpose I really do not want to discuss with you. I would like to skip the recovery reinstall process and just restore the Vista from the image - nothing more.

I wonder if such open accusation is even more outrageous? Is that proper to do in public without first checking the facts?

Best regards,

4. jmk94903

I apologize. This did sound like a rather black market deal, but I shouldn't have made any assumptions.

The problem is that the versions of TI such as Server, Enterprise and Home are often quite different, so the .tib files are not compatible. It's like the differences between Windows 9x, XP and Server in that reguard. The files are not interchangable. Perhaps Acronis should use different extensions to distinguish them.

Unless you can obtain a Rescue CD from some Server version that's the same or newer than the one used to make the backup, I don't think you will be able to restore the backup. Within the types, Acronis is backward compatible for at least two and often many versions.

If you can do a restore, you can then make new images with your version of TI and be all set for the future.

5. golubovski

I see...
    OK, I guess that's that then!

OK, recovery!

Thank you John
    Sincerely,

6. jmk94903

Good luck. I hope you can avoid the fresh install.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.