TrueImage for Linux - Debian - OpenVZ - snapapi26

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pjdevries, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjdevries

pjdevries Registered Member

We have a server running Debian Etch and OpenVZ and managed to install and run True Image Server 9 for Linux succesfully on the host. The main consideration for deploying OpenVZ is security and as such we only run a bare minimum of highly neccessary services on the host itself. All other services and applications run in dedicated OpenVZ VPS's (Virtual Private Servers).

True Image is one of the applications we want to run from within a VPS and although we got it to work without any problems on the host, we can not get it to run in a VPS. The reason appears to be the inability of the installer to (build and) install the snapapi26 module. When trying to build and install the module by hand as described in the HOWTO.INSTALL, we run into all kind of predictable problems due to the nature of OpenVZ. Building it from scratch should not be neccessary though, because we have a running True Image on the host and applications running in a VPS run as processes under the kernel of the host. The question now is: how do we transfer the working True Image setup from the host to the VPS? Is there a way to copy the snapapi26 module to the VPS and if yes, how do we do that?

2. pjdevries

Mean while I experimented a bit more. I uninstalled snapapi26 on the host and build by hand according to the HOWTO.INSTALL instructions. I then copied the dkms tree (/var/lib/dkms/snapapi26) to the VPS and did a 'dkms install'. That apparently worked. Unfortunately True Image still wouldn't run, so I re-installed it. This time I didn't get the messages about snapapi any more and the installation ended with a 'Congratulations! Acronis True Image Server has been successfully installed on your system'. However, when running trueimagecmd, just like before I get following the message: Cannot find the necessary program modules. Please reinstall the program.

Some advice is highly appreciated.

3. pjdevries

No response still so I guess my conclusion is that the trial version didn't meet my exepectations and I'll have to look for another solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.