TrueImage Damaging Quattro files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by shieber, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I have a couple of Quattro 11 files that work fine except when I included them in an image made with Acronis 8 (build859), explore the image and and copy the files from the image.

The copies from the Acronis image won't load--they are unreadable by Quattor, even if I try to use Corel's recovery/file repair routines.

Any thoughts?

tia,
    sh

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Build 859 has an issue with corrupt files (all types) when extracted using Explore.

Acronis are aware and looking into it.

Images restore fine though.

3. shieber

Thanks. I found out it happens with other files but not all files.

Is is possible to revert to the the prior build unitl a fix is made?

sh

4. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Yes if you log in you can go to the updates section and download the 826 build.

Trying to find the instructions now...

5. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  6. neuron2

neuron2 Registered Member

I'm in my trial period and so cannot avail myself of this capability. Do I have to buy a broken product to evaluate a working one?

Or should I just go get Norton Ghost?

7. shieber

Thanks,

I downloaded and ran the Build 826 version. After reverting to build 826 and the probem still exists with the same image files. Assuming the image is the same with each build (and not corrupt) then the explorer for both builds has the same problem extracting files.

sh

8. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

My experience was that TI 8 build 859 images could be created/verified, but not explored. When I reverted to build 826 I was able to successfully explore my build 859 images.

Acronis has noted that only the image mounter (Explore Image) for Build 859 is affected. The build 859 image should still restore OK (see this individual post): https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=483041&postcount=37

neuron2, you may wish to read the following thread, of which that single post was a part: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84188

9. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

859 and 1143 trials should be removed, as they are broken, and will hurt Acronis sales.

Not *Everyone* is patient enough to go to a forum and ask around. It's a fast market.

10. shieber

Itried making a new backup with build 826 then exploring and copying the files to disk and trying to open them. The problem is exactly the same as with build 859.

I did a full restore from an image a few days ago with build 826 and that worked fine -- I just hadn't tried to copy a file from an image and load it unitl yesterday.

It's clearly not just a build 859 issue. Oddly, it's not all files that won't work, only some.

Btw, jsut to be clear, I have no problem with either build merely roaming around an image, that part works fine. It's trying to use some of the files, copied from an image, in the original apps that's the problem, such as Aauttro Pro 11 and Excel 2002 (the XP version).

I'll try build 800, which is the last one still avaialble on the website, and see if that works.

sh

11. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

you might try an uninstall from control panel > add/remove programs, reboot, then install build 826. Build 826 should explore images OK.

12. shieber

That's the next step since I tried reversion to build 800 and used the exploreer image to get the files and the files from the image didn't work with that build either.

13. shieber

Okay, I did a full uninstall and then rebooted and installed build 826. Good thing I remembered to look up my serial number before I started ;-)

Then I ran the Explore Image module on images created with Build 826 and build 859. Now I can copy the files from the images and the files work in Quattro Pro and Excel. I noticed that with the fresh install of build 826 (after uninstalling TI:cool:, the installer asked twice if I wanted to replace newer files with older ones -- this was while installing the drivers. That didn't happen when doing the repair/upgrade reversions.

Methinks the drivers might be at fault -- .

sh

14. neuron2

Thank you for your response. I read the thread but it does not address my issue. There seems to be no way to get a trial version that contains 826, or to downgrade my 859 trial version to 826.

15. shieber

Is "trial" package and the licensed package the same package -- just one is installed with a serial number?

sh

16. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

neuron2.. well, might I suggest you hang for a few days and see what develops before you go to the dark side ;-)

Then you can more fully evaluate and decide...

Acronis should release a new build soon. I'm sure there will be posts here reporting on it. The image explorer function is great! I've used it a lot to "roll back" versions of documents and other individual files or folders.

17. neuron2

@mark7

OK, I'll wait. In your experience is 826 a solid and stable product? I've just been reading some reviews of the "dark side" product and I'm not impressed. On the other hand, I'm not impressed by a company that releases a product without basic testing and then continues to knowingly give it to customers.

18. shieber

I think they expect to have a new build with a fix within a few days.

This appears to be a WinXP sp2 related problem

19. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

TI 8 build 826 is stable for me for what I use it for:
    Creating/verifying/exploring/restoring image files on the same machine. I create images to my HD, splitting image size as if I was to burn to CD. I then use Nero to burn CD's or DVD's of the *.tib files.

I've got an outstanding issue creating images to my network shared drive, but Acronis is working on this and I have a workaround in place.

20. neuron2

Thank you for your feedback, gentlemen. I think I'll just go ahead and buy on-line, register, and then downgrade to 826. I don't feel comfortable not having any backups.

21. neuron2

Follow up to my own post. :)

I did in fact purchase online, register, and download 826. It installed fine and I imaged my system and made a recovery CD. I was able to explore the images and the files were fine.

So far so good. Man, am I glad I don't have to install that bloated dark-side thing. Did you know it insists on having .NET framework installed?

22. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

neuron2,

Glad it worked out for you. Yeah, I knew about the .NET thang... 'nuf said!!

a wise choice you have made!

23. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

You DON'T KNOW the POWER of the DARK SIDE!

Ahm... just kidding :ninja:

24. shieber

FYI, Acronis support has told me that the problem has been fixed and will be in the next build, which should be posted soon -- presumably after some debugging and perhaps some other changes that might be planned for the next build.

sh

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

shieber is right. On Monday evening I was told that our Development Team found the reason for the problem and yesterday they designed a fix. We expect the new build to be released very soon. If anyone wish to get the trial version of build 826 please send a request to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will provide you with the trial version.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.