TrueImage and SATA Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Modred, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 that has a Seagate 120-GB SATA hard drive. I'm running WinXP Home. This computer works fine with TI when creating an image from within Windows. However, it locks up the computer whenever I try to restore an image from a restore disk. This occurs when I click on a drive during the restore process.

Acronis support was very helpful, and they provided me a special restore disk that worked with my computer. I was still surprised that TI would not work with a plain-jane Dell computer and was curious if anyone has had similar problems.

As an aside, this is a problem with TI 6.0 and the latest building of 7.0. Also, the computer is not on a network or otherwise unusual.

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

I once had a similar problem restoring an image using TI7 build 597 (I burn restore CDs for each build). The restore process would freeze and the GUI was frozen as well. Tried it again, same result. I then tried the restore CDs from builds 595 and 591 with the same result. The restore CD from build 589 finally did work. I was restoring from a Seagate 120 GB drive to an IBM (I believe Hitachi) 120 GB drive (no SATA). Never had problems restoring with TI6.

Nick

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Ditto on the same problem, no sata. Went round and round w/tech support and the ONLY way it was solved was a "special" iso file to burn to cd for restoring purposes. Every new build I've tried to burn a restore disk but when booting it up, hangs everytime at the "Acronis now loading, please wait" screen. NEVER had a problem w/ver 1 or ver 6. Wonder how long this iso disk will be good for? :doubt:

4. Modred

Modred Registered Member

Pat,

Good to hear from you. I wondered if the problem was mine alone, or if others were in the same boat.

I should add something to my earlier posting. With some builds of TI, the computer locks up while the restore program is loading. With other builds, the restore program does actually load, but the computer locks up when I click on a drive in the restore program.

I would like to have the ability to create new restore disks as new builds are released. Hopefully, Acronis will find a fix.

Modred

5. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

The later versions of Acronis TI 7 have the startup recovery manager which eliminates the need for boot CD. Sure it is extra 5+ seconds added to the boot but heck its worth it IMHO because it not only works on my 3 SATA drives but sees my RAID 0 setup on a separate hardware RAID card.

On another note, TI used to not support the SATA controller(old one i had). I emailed them and they made an update that fixed that for me. Contact support if the startup option does not work for you. :D

6. jlsf

jlsf Guest

Not sure if anyone is still following this or not...

I've got the same problem where the recovery CD is locking up (2 different Dell 400SC). Trying to restore to a SATA from a networked backup file.

It works great on a different machine, but on the Dells it just dies.

Any ideas on how to get around this? Do I need this special ISO file to fix it?

Thanks.

7. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I started using the acpi=off no apic switch. I have restored on a number of occasions and have not had a problem. It's still hard to understand why Acronis can't fix this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.