TrueImage 9 hangs up with Lenovo T60p

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Robbi, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbi

Robbi Registered Member

The configuration of this brand new notebook can be found here:
    http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...yId=2049168&dualCurrId=1000073&catalogId=-840

TI9-Backup hangs up after 1-2 minutes (and after 1 GB is written to a destination disk across the windows network with 100MBit and also 1 GB connections). All network options were testet (Full/half duplex, 10/100/1000MBit), also different windows target OS (NT4, W2K, XP).

The notebook has a 100GB, 7200rpm Serial ATA (Standard) disk, a Intel Gigabit nic and 2 GB of 667MHy ram. Any idea, how to get a complete disk image?

Thx!! o_O

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Create the bootable Rescue CD and use that for all your TI Image backup procedures.

3. Robbi

Robbi Registered Member

So I did. Tonight I found an activated bios option that preserves the system from buffer overflows. Maybe that this will cause TI to hang up. I will disable and try it again. o_O

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If you're using a wireless or usb mouse try using what came with the notebook - just a shot in the dark. ;)

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Robbi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please do the following:

(I.) If the image creation process hangs when the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is running from under Windows then, first of all, please check each partition of the backed up hard drive by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists after checking the hard drive and updating the drivers then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post for both computer that you backup and computer where the network share you save the resulting image to is located;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages? What exact messages? When exactly do you receive them?

- Does the problem appear both when you create disk\partition images and file-based backups?

- Are you able to create an image saving it to any hard drive connected locally?

- Describe your network structure in detail;

- Does the image creation process hang when you create an image using the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home from under Windows?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

(II.) If the image creation process hangs when you use Bootable Rescue CD created with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Please note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters, i.e. SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT, or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages? What exact messages? When exactly do you receive them?

- Does the problem appear both when you create disk\partition images and file-based backups?

- Are you able to create an image saving it to any hard drive connected locally?

- Describe your network structure in detail;

- Does the image creation process hang when you create an image using Bootable Rescue CD made with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide all the files and information collected in your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Robbi

Robbi Registered Member

Like I wrote earlier, TI9 had no problem to boot and launch the GUI, but it hung up one minute after beginning to build the image.

Now it works correct after disabling the Intel Core Duo feature of memory execution protection in the bios. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks all for your hints!

7. AcroDen

AcroDen Registered Member

Hi Robbi,
    I've got a T60p on the way and since I use Acronis on my desktop I'm interested in knowing how to do backups on the T60p as well as clones. If it's not too much trouble, could you give me a kind of step by step as to what you needed to do to get Acronis to work? Have you done any cloning or are you just doing images? Sounds like you are doing this across a network. Any experience with cloning or imaging to a HD in the ultra-bay adapter?
    thanks for the help,
    AcroDen

8. Robbi

Robbi Registered Member

Hi AcroDen,

welcome in the T60p club ;-)

Well, till now I only tried to build an image across the network. Cloning ist not an issue because I don't have an 'ultra-bay adapter'. But I had problems when cloning a S-ATA disk to a second one on a desktop PC with TI9! Interestingly the only solution was to clone with TI8, TI9 does not work up to the latest version :-(
    All Images and trials were done by using the boot cdrom.

Trying to build an image across the network was successful only 1 times, I was not able to build a second one o_O Mostly the T60p freezes at any point while configuring an image or short after pressing the last start button.

If possible try a little bit with the different versions and builds of TI, even with elder TI8 versions. And deactive the execution bit option in the BIOS!

I hope that Acronis will launch the next release (TI10) this summer, that will work much better than the current versions.

9. AcroDen

AcroDen Registered Member

Hey Robbi,
    Thanks for the feedback. You mentioned deactivating the execution bit in the BIOS. How would I do that? Also, in the previous post you said "Now it works correct after disabling the Intel Core Duo feature of memory execution protection in the bios." Is that the same thing or something else. If different, how would I go about disabling that?

I've had very good luck so far with TI8. I've cloned internally from SATA to PATA & SATA and externally to both via USB. With an adapter I've cloned internally from SATA to 2.5 PATA. I always use the TI8 boot CD and so far had nor problems.

I was thinking about upgrading to TI9 but your experience doesn't sound encouraging. Any reason you would recomend the upgrade? If not I may wait for TI10.

BTW, Are you familiar with the Thinkpad forum over at http://forum.thinkpads.com ? They've got a whole section for T60 users. A lot of good advice and feedback there.

Thanks again for the help,
    AcroDen

10. Robbi

Robbi Registered Member

Sorry for answering that late, I did not get a notification mail about your posting :(
    Enter BIOS-Setup (F1 while booting) Security - Memory Protection - Execution Prevention => Disabled

Well, like I wrote earlier, I was only able to build a complete image once. All other trials with TIx led to a froozen Thinkpad engine :thumbd: o_O

I'd wait until TI10 or later, because Acronis will investige first into this problem if there are more Core Duo notebooks with the same problem. May be this problem will be resolved in TI11 o_O

Thxs 4 your hint - it looks very interesting...

CU
    Robbi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.