TrueImage 9 crash on scheduled incremental imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jdjdjd, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

I've been taking scheduled nightly incremental images for a couple of weeks without a problem. Last night, TrueImage crashed in the middle of the operation. According to the log, TI got halfway through -- it finished with the first partition and said Pending operation 116 started: "Creating partition image" for the second partition, but then there's nothing after that.

Here's the error information taken from the event log:

Faulting application TrueImageService.exe, version 9.0.0.2337, faulting module TrueImageService.exe, version 9.0.0.2337, fault address 0x001dd1a9.

Running Windows XP SP2; nobody was at the computer when the crash occurred.

Any ideas about why this happened? I am nervous about relying on TrueImage to backup my data if it crashes.

Thanks...

-- jeff

2. ronandex

ronandex Registered Member

Have you tried reinstalling the driver. SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe

3. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

No, I haven't. Why would the driver need to be reinstalled?

-- jeff

4. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

I reinstalled TrueImage 9 and was able to run my normal backup without crashing, but TI crashed when backing up files over a network.

Is there anyone from Acronis who is listening??

-- jeff

5. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

Stuck!! TI crashes, can't contact Tech Support, can't download latest version!

I've already posted about my TrueImage 9 crashes. I'd like to contact tech support and/or make sure that I've got the latest version (I should, because I've purchased it within the last 30 days, but you never know). However, when I try to register, the Acronis web site says that it is going to send me email but it doesn't (I've tried twice, with two different email addresses).

I'm discouraged, I'm thinking about returning the software, if I can. I know that some people have had good luck with TI9, but I've had three crashes in the past week and that doesn't give me confidence in software that's supposed to save me from disasters. We use Norton Ghost at work and it seems rock solid. I purchased TrueImage for home because Ghost seems bloated but I'd rather put up with bloat than with backup software that crashes.

What's the story? Is Acronis likely to fix these problems or do they just ignore problems about crashes?

-- jeff

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jdjdjd,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What do you mean exactly when saying that Acronis True Image 9.0 crashed? Do you mean that the backup failed showing some error in the log or that the application itself has been closed?

- Did you receive any error messages? What exact messages? When exactly did you receive them?

- Where do you save your image to? Do you use mapped drives?

- Can you confirm that the problem appears only when a file-based backup is being created;

- What exact files\folders do you backup?

- What happens if you start the scheduled tasks manually?

- Are you able to create a file-based backup of the same files\folders saving it to the local hard drive (i.e. any internal or external hard drive connected to the computer locally)?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

- What do you mean exactly when saying that Acronis True Image 9.0 crashed? Do you mean that the backup failed showing some error in the log or that the application itself has been closed?

I saw an error message window with the text mentioned in my first message, then after dismissing the window, TI disappeared.

- Did you receive any error messages? What exact messages? When exactly did you receive them?

The only error was the error message window.

- Where do you save your image to? Do you use mapped drives?

Saved the image to a USB drive. No mapped drives.

- Can you confirm that the problem appears only when a file-based backup is being created;

I reinstalled TI9 and the problem has gone away for now. Note, however, that I've only had TI installed for a few weeks and I haven't made any significant changes to the system (that I can think of) during that time,

- What exact files\folders do you backup?

I back up my C: and D: partitions, which are the entire contents of a single disk drive.

- What happens if you start the scheduled tasks manually?

I don't know

- Are you able to create a file-based backup of the same files\folders saving it to the local hard drive (i.e. any internal or external hard drive connected to the computer locally)?

The problem occurred when backing up to a local (external USB) drive.

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

None. The backup is scheduled at night.

In addition to the problem reported earlier:

I got another crash a few days ago with a similar error message:

Faulting application trueimage.exe, version 9.0.0.2337, faulting module trueimage.exe, version 9.0.0.2337, fault address 0x00200460.

The situation: I was doing a manual backup. I was backing up a subdirectory on a network share to my local hard drive. The remote computer was not being used at the time.

I repeated the backup and it succeeded the second time.

------------------

I would appreciate help in solving these problems and restoring my confidence in TrueImage 9. I have a limited amount of time to run experiments on trying different conditions. Is there some kind of internal log created by TrueImage (apart from the one that I can already view from TrueImage) that might shed some more light on the problem (such as a crash log)?

Thanks...

-- jeff

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please do the following?

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and hit Enter;
    - In the dialog that appears check the "Log File" and "Crash Dump" paths, then click the OK button;
    - Reproduce the problem;
    - Pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files in the directory specified at step 2 and collect them.

Could you please also reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. jdjdjd

jdjdjd Registered Member

I am having problems with my account. I have asked for a password reset, but when I click on the link in the email that is sent to me, the page comes up saying that there is an error with the key, and tells me to reenter it. There isn't any mention in the email of a key.

I tried to set up a new account with a different email address but I can't send any messages to tech support from there because the dropdown list of product is empty.

This has been very frustrating. Because the contact support page requires an account which is tied to a registered product, I have been unable to contact Acronis directly. I have used this forum instead, but getting a response here can take days.

As I mentioned in my earlier message, TI seems to be working -- at least for now. So I can't easily reproduce the problem.

--------

While I appreciate receiving a reply on this problem, I need to tell you that the response isn't acceptable. I can't reproduce the problem (at least not today) but it's clear that I can't rely on TI either. TI has not produced any kind of detailed log or stack trace when the problems occurred, meaning that information is lost forever, and I'm left me hanging since I don't know when the problem will hit next.

In case you're wondering what the right answer would have been -- what you should have done (in my opinion) -- would have been to instrument TI so that it does a dump when it crashes (there are plenty of products that do this, so you would be in good company). You can then ask the customer to send the information to you. At that point, you'll at least have some idea of what's happened. It's true that you may not be able to solve the problem from the dump, but at least you've got a reasonable start, and as you start to correlate information across your customer base, with each customer providing a few more details about the problem, it's likely that you'll be able to zero in faster on the problem. This isn't theoretical, this is what my company has been doing for years, and I would be happy to share information about this process with Acronis.

In the meantime, I am contacting Newegg to see if they will take back the software. I need something that is more reliable.

-- jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.