TrueImage 8 - Slow restore over network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ggarcia, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggarcia

ggarcia Registered Member

Hello,

Couple weeks ago I created a disk image using a brand new TrueImage 8.0 (release 786) into an external USB disk.

Now, I am trying to recover the disk, but TrueImage refuses to read my external USB drive.

I decided to connect the drive to another computer and to restore from the network (1 Gbps connection). The restore program claimed that it could take 8 hours to recover 25 Gig hard drive. It is been more than 48 hours and the process is only 65% complete.

Why is TrueImage unable to detect the USB drive? (I read the faq 16 hours after I started the network restore). Why is the process so slow (25 Gigs in more that 3 days looks excessive).

Thanks,

Gerardo Garcia

2. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

What type of usb drive is it?

For me to copy a 4- 4.5GB image over a 100Mbit network connection (off site and through a lot of switches) it takes me around 7 - 14mins depending on the location

3. ggarcia

I copied the computer image from the external USB drive to the hard drive of the remote computer.

I used the TI 8.0 CD Boot to load Acronis TI 8 and to connect to the shared folder of the remote computer and I started to restore the image file. The file image includes 2 partitions. (C drive --> 5 Gig, D drive --> 20 Gigs)

The process is still running after 3 1/2 days!! o_O (80% completed). I hope it will finish by tomorrow afternoon.

I tested the network copying a big file (1000M == 1Gig) from the same remote computer to a third computer (with a 100 MBps network card) connected to the same network switch. The process took 2 minutes 30 seconds to finish.

Any ideas,

Gerardo

4. A|ex

A|ex Registered Member

ive had some bizzare issues with you needing to disconnect then reconnect mainly because acronis at the time had some stupid long network time. Maybe that it is? maybe Acronis doesnt support your nic and is only seeing it was either 10mbit or 100?

How are you assigning ip and dns to your nick? via dhcp or manual?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ggarcia,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

As I understood we have two problems in this thread. The first one is connected to your external hard disk drive. And the second issue is regarding your network connection.

Have you tried to use the "acpi=off noapic" workaround described here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 ? This can help you to resolve the both of the above problems.

We also recommend you to update to the latest build and to create a new bootable CD. If the problems persist please contact support@acronis.com and let us know the model of your external hard drive and the model of your motherboard (it would be very helpful to provide us with the information regarding the hard disk drive controller you use on your motherboard) along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

6. ggarcia

The process finished couple hours ago. 25 Gigs in 4 days

I am happy that the image restore finally worked, but I am for sure not going to recommed your server product to company where I am working now.

Thanks

Gerardo

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ggarcia,

We do apologize for this problem.

Our Development Team is working on drivers update and we expect the situation with the restoration via network improves soon. It would be very helpful of you to send the model of your network card and motherboard to support@acronis.com (if you haven't yet). As a workaround I can sugest that you copy the image to a local machine manually and then restore it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.