Truecrypt with two operating systems (only one is encrypted w/o special bootloader)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dave84621, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave84621

dave84621 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the following

A) one drive with two partitions where if the computer boots without a rescue disk, it will boot the unencypted partition (win 7)
    B) the unencrypted partition won't be able to see the other partition
    C) if I boot with the rescue disk, it would boot the encrypted winxp partition (after I enter the password) which would be able to see the win7 partition if necessary

My plan is this:
    1) I have a laptop with a 300 gb drive on it with 40 gigs of data (a win 7 install)
    2) copy the 40 gigs of data to an external drive
    3) fdisk the drive into 2 partitions (one with like 60 gigs and the other with 240)
    4) copy the initial 40 gigs of data back onto the smaller partition
    5) install windows xp onto the second larger partition
    6) install full disk encryption / system encryption via truecrypt on the win xp partition and create the rescue disk
    7) reset the master boot record with "fdisk /mbr"
    8 ) at this point, the 60 gig partition should boot normally and the rescue disk should trigger booting to the encrypted system partition...i think?

--> will this plan work?
    --> will the winxp partition be able to see the win7 partition?
    --> what will the win7 environment see of the other encrypted partition? (i.e., just a drive letter that needs formatting i'd imagine?)

thanks guys :)

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I don't know about all that "seeing the other partitions" stuff, but you can have an unencrypted Win 7 and and encrypted XP if you do half of the "Hidden OS" setup. I've listed it before.

The unencrypted one will see the second partition as 'Raw', but you can hide it in Explorer by removing the drive letter. You will always see it in Disk Management however. It shouldn't be a problem, it is a container, and uses TC's plausible deniability feature.

I really don't think it's a good idea for TC to be able to 'see' the unencrypted install...it can bite you...just restart and boot that OS if you need something.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.