Truecrypt: Windows Partition (c: only) - 3 OS on C:, D:, E: - Single Hard Drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by silentbeak, Jul 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentbeak

silentbeak Registered Member

Hello Guys,

I am here with a big confusion before implementing the task. I have heard a lot about truecrypt encryption and therefore wish to encrypt my c drive using it.

Please note that here I am talking about only c drive. Now, I am elaborating the whole thing.

I have a Seagate Hardisk which is installed inside my cpu 160 gb i guess.
    I have created three partitions c: d: and e: in it during installation.
    There is a windows xp sp2 installed on each of the c d and e drive.
    I wish to encrypt only c drive. Please note that all the windows on each drive are identical i.e. windows xp sp2 of same cd key.

Now, one thing i know that I can do it by choosing the encrypt system partition instead of whole system drive during the encryption setup of truecrypt. But I have also seen some video tutorials on it in addition to forums which simply gives the idea that once the encryption is finished, the system would ask for the truecryt password to boot the windows.

Fine, confusion and concern is I use c drive for my personal use and d and e drive belongs to some family members which I should not be worried for. I am worrying for the possible fact that if i encrypt my c drive, will the system asks for a password during the boot for those other two windows on d: and e: system partitions? Coz i can't share my password with them, I just want to make sure that it would only ask for the password when i choose my c drive from the list of three operating systems during system startup.

I have tried to find threads on these, but no luck. So I am here expecting a positive reply from my forum mates.

Summary: I have three system partitions on a single hard disk i.e. c, d and e drives. Each drive has one windows xp sp2. I wish to encrypt only c drive using truecrypt provided that it would not ask the password during system startup for the other two operating systems on d and e.

Thanks and Regards,

Silentbeak

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I think when booting you should get prompted which xp to start. Then if on C: you must enter the psw otherwise not.

But let's wait for the big guys here..

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

It depends on how you set things up. The OP's concerns are valid, as under certain setups the password will be required to boot to any of the OS's. However, I'm not qualified to properly answer the question, so let's hope one of our TC multiboot guys comes along.

4. silentbeak

silentbeak Registered Member

@dogbite - thanks:). I wish it would work that way. But i need to make sure that it really happens. May be some one who have experienced it would share it here.

@dantz - thanks :). I have a normal setup. However, in case you require some information which may become the base to solve this query, please ask it specifically and I would provide it to you.

Hoping to get the answer.

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I'm far from an expert on this, but I think the only way you are going to be able to do this, is with a third party boot manager. If you encrypt C:/, TC is going to replace the Windows Bootloader (which now knows you have 3 bootable OS') with it's own. I know there is a setup option in TC for a dual boot setup, but I don't think it will help with a tri-boot setup. I guess you could try putting the TC bootloader on an external media, and then restore a copy of your current Windows boot loader. If you want to boot C:/, you boot off of the USB/SD media...if you want D or E just power on and let Windows allow you to picko_O? No clue, just some (possibly entirely incorrect) ideas. :D

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.