Truecrypt + Windows 8 = WTF

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Killerkretsche, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Killerkretsche

Killerkretsche Registered Member

Hello,
    i´am from Germany and would ask some questions here (At the Official Truecrypt Forum i need a paid mail -.-)... Situation: I have two PCs, the one has one 1tb hdd with some system encryption and partition encryptions... The other has two 500GB hdds and one has an system encryption too. The two have the same password. I installed Windows 8 at another hdd my brother and the bootloader + Header from the two system encrypted systems have been overwritten. I have used Truecrypt 7.1, so they have an included header backup inside. (Hope the backup dont overwritten too!) And i want to use the Tools Testcrypt and Testdisk, but when i type my ascii password in german language it says truecrypt doesnt support this but i have logged in with that password and have set the system encryption with that password too. The Password is ü+5ycP65ARÖi~%Üdxh|Ä$c#eÜS9!,2[Ü and i hear someones are saying the password were converted to us layout, but in the us layout some combinations (example ~ in german language) and in us layout it´s nothing.. so the us layout password has some signs lost... And i had some o_O over my head... How i can fix that fu? The Truecrypt Disk has been used and it says somtheing like "No bootable partition found!".

I need some Help, pls :D

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I'd recommend getting an email address that the TC forums will accept so you can post your problems there. It's going to take quite a lot of work to sort this one out. Why is the damage so widespread? Only disks or partitions that were connected during the upgrade would be affected. Hopefully you can explain this a little better.

Here are a few tips, but I have to warn you that I'm not going to have enough time to follow up on this situation, as I'm getting ready to leave on a long trip and I have some last minute work to finish:

You can use each system's TC rescue disk to repair the bootloader (and, only if necessary, restore the key data) of each system encrypted partition. If you decide to restore the key data then make very sure that you use the correct rescue disk for each system. They're not interchangeable when you use that command.

If you merely want to recover some of the data on a system-encrypted partition then you can try slaving each drive to another OS and then try to mount the system partition using the "mount without preboot authentication" command. At this point you will have to convert your preboot password (or what you think it is) into the US-Eng keyboard equivalent (which is what it actually is). Some users have found that all they have to do is temporarily select the US-Eng keyboard definition and then type in their passwords using exactly the same keystrokes that they always used.

If you have any partitions that were encrypted separately (that is, not within the scope of system encryption) then try to mount them using "Mount Options: Use backup header embedded in volume if available". (This won't work for system encrypted partitions.)

I wouldn't mess around with TestCrypt or TestDisk at this point. You're not there yet. If your partition tables were altered then yes, you might need to use those tools, but not yet.

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

This probably means that your Windows OS was partially overwritten during the accident. You'll probably have to reinstall the OS to get it working again, but in the meantime you can try to rescue whatever data you can via "mount without preboot authentication".

4. Killerkretsche

Killerkretsche Registered Member

Ok I´am looking for a really unknown mail provider... I haven´t thinking about the Bootloader. I have saw that too late. I have to forgot to disonnect the hdds. It wasn´t an upgrade just an normal windows 8 installation at another hdd...

hmm Ok i think/hope here are much people who will answer :D

I have done that bevor and some other people have the same problem with the Error "No Bootable Partition found", i think the rescue disk hasn´t repaired/placed a new Header.

I havn´t used Keystrokes only a Password :D

Fu.. The Password for the separately partitions are on the container at an system encrypted partition. Is there no one solution for system encryptedt partitions? I really need my data at the 128GB SSD, at the other pc i have much film series but not specially needed data...

The Partitions are RAW and i see the partitions normally... Testcrypt would find that Headers (And can mount the partitions then) and testdisk is for reparing the bootsector and mft...

I use an specially Testcrypt version for system encrypted devices they found some at Sector 0/0/63 but it says normal and backup header n/a (Maybe the password is wrong? [I have that Password i used the EN Layout Password above for that]) And i would say i have tested this at my other pc where no datas are where i specially need. The PC has Windows 8 installed and i have installed Windows 8 at the hdd for my brother and at my main pc are Windows 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.