TrueCrypt Volume Not Found

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Anonymous55, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Anonymous55

Anonymous55 Registered Member

2. Anonymous55

So I transferred over to a new motherboard and Windows 7 wouldn't boot off because of that after typing in the Truecrypt boot password, now it's not booting at all and I have to use another hard drive which recognizes my TrueCrypt drive as totally empty. Is everything lost?

3. Anonymous55

I'll send $20 over PayPal to the anyone that can help me recover my data.

4. Anonymous55

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

OK, I will take a look, but I have to warn you, I'm pretty rusty on this sort of thing. I used to be very active in TrueCrypt support, but it all seems like a past life to me now, and those memories are fading.

Anyway, for starters I will point out that even with a normal, unencrypted Windows-based system you can't just change motherboards and expect it to work. There are all sorts of dissimilar hardware issues, driver issues, etc. that are likely to come up, and failure to boot would be a very common scenario. However, it should still be possible to rescue your encrypted data.

I need more info, so here are a couple of questions to get us started:

1) From your post #1 it sounds like you encrypted your operating system, i.e. "System encryption", but I want to confirm that before we spend too much time going down that path. If you used TrueCrypt to encrypt your OS then ought to have the specific "Truecrypt Rescue Disk" that you created when you encrypted your system. Do you have that disk (CD)? Or if not, do you at least recall creating it?

2) Assuming that you did in fact encrypt your operating system, and if you now have that disk attached as an external drive on another system, then the "Mount without preboot authentication" command is likely to work. Have you tried that?

6. Anonymous55

Oh man...I changed computers and moved the hard drive over...I mean I still have the old computer, but it's taken apart and I don't have the processor anymore.

1. I think I encrypted the entire drive (with operating system on it). I don't have the Truecrypt Rescue Disk. The one time I need it, I don't make it properly (tried to use a USB stick, thought it worked, it didn't).

2. Yes, I've tried that option every way I could think of.