Truecrypt volume corrupted/lost

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by sotf, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sotf

sotf Registered Member

I am a noob to truecrypt. I managed to get it functioning and was playing around on it a while back. There was a hidden volume I created and a regular volume with family photos. I couldn't access the hidden volume so while playing around, I did the following:

Selected \Device\Harddisk1\Partition1

Went to volume tools, selected restore volume header, selected restore the header from the backup embedded in the volume. The encryption screen came up, I moved my mouse around, finished. Now when I try to access the normal parition, I can mount it like before with the password, but when I go to open it it says H:/ is not accessible, the volume does not contain a valid file system. It also asks me to format the drive.

I don't care about the hidden volume any longer as it was just test files I put in, but am hoping I didn't lose the photos I had on the normal partition. I did not "backup" the volume header before I restored. What did I do wrong and is this now unrecoverable/corrupt?

2. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of time to help you right now. I need to get some work done!

From your description it's not very clear what happened to your volume, but at this point I would suggest you try using some data-recovery programs to explore the mounted volume.

Restoring the header from the embedded backup would not normally harm your volume. One exception would be if you accidentally overwrote your partition table by restoring the header to the wrong location, but according to your description that's not what you did.

I can probably get back to this thread in a few days, but this is all I have time for at the moment.

3. sotf

sotf Registered Member

If I did restore it to the wrong spot, how do I fix that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.