Truecrypt v. Cryptainer LE (and question about defragging)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Truecrypt v. Cryptainer LE- which of these two would be better for my needs? I am looking for something simple to understand and able to be hidden. Truecrypt looks to have more bells and whistles but is it easy to understand for a novice? Also, I see that Truecrypt has several different encryption algorithms while Cryptainer LE only has only one, 128 bit. Is this important enough to warrant choosing Truecrypt? What about Truecrypt's two levels of plausible deniability? Truecrypt looks to be the better of the two but possibly much harder to figure out. And I don't want to lose some important data forever.

Also, I have saw posted somewhere that defragging your hard drive can cometimes cause problems with encrypted data in that the data is sometimes not able to be decrypted. Does anyone know about this?

http://www.cypherix.co.uk/cryptainerle/index.htm

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Thanks.

2. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Actually, Truecrypt is quite simple. Since it's free, you should download it and give it a whirl. Make a few small containers with non-critical, backed-up data and see how easy it is. The forum there is full of people willing to help. It's also open-source, critical for encryption software.

---------------------------------

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I completely agree! IMO, TrueCrypt is easily the better program of the two. After running/trying both, the only thing I ever continued to use Cryptainer on was Windows 98 (which TC no longer supports.)

And help is indeed only a click away... :)

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Well thanks for the responses. It looks like I'll give TC a try. But as anyone heard the defrag issue before?

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I cannot recall reading of users that were having defragmentation issues with TC. I guess it's possible (anything is possible with Windows, right? ;) ) but if it's happened, it may well be related to something more than just a TC issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.