TrueCrypt Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TheMozart, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I run Windows Vista and I encrypted my whole C: drive. Yet what confuses me is that how can TrueCrypt decrypt my entire Vista Operating System on the fly and store the whole thing in RAM so that it can run?

When I check my RAM, it says 1.03GB of RAM is being used, but surely the Vista Operating System takes up more than that to function and run :doubt:

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

TrueCrypt doesn't decrypt/encrypt the entire disk in bulk during normal operation. Disk reads are decrypted and disk writes are encrypted as they occur. This happens as applications read and write to/from the disk. The data passes through the TrueCrypt driver only as it is needed.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Ok thank you for explaining that.

But I removed TrueCrypt and decrypted my hard drive, because I was running Sandboxie today and all of a sudden I got a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH..something I have NEVER EVER had before, so it's definitely related to TrueCrypt.

4. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

If you decrypted and uninstalled Truecrypt, how could this be related to Truecrypt?
    If there is a problem with decrypting a disk/partition, the decryption process hangs (usually caused by bad disk sectors).

Have you run checkdisk and defrag lately?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Didn't you make a disk image beforehand?

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Let me explain again. I have never had a BSOD before. But a few hours after I encrypted my hard drive using TrueCrypt, I got a BSOD when browsing the internet using Sandboxie.

So I removed TrueCrypt and decrypted my hard drive and not had a BSOD.

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I thought I had to decrypt the hard drive so it removes the TC boot sectors.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Not if you made one with boot sectors backed up as well before installing it.

9. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I thought TC used different boot sectors to the one Trueimage backups? :cautious:

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The TrueImage backups would restore the original boot sectors, along with the original system (if you backed them up). What's wrong with that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.