TrueCrypt partition got damaged after installing Windows on another drive

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by GSD, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSD

GSD Registered Member

Hi,

First of all, great forum! I value my security on the computer a lot, which is part of the reason why I'm having this problem...

My old Windows 7 drive is encrypted with TrueCrypt (full disk encryption).

I got a SSD a few days ago, which I install Windows 7 on it (without unplugging the old one first, BIG mistake). After Windows finished copying all the files and the computer restart, it gave me an error and installation didn't continue.

I boot from CD and tried to install Windows again, this time I format and make a new partition on my new drive manually first (the first time I just select the new drive, thinking Windows will do that automatically, which it should). This time a message pop up saying Windows will make a system partition, and Windows successfully installed.

The problem is when I tried to boot my old drive, I got this error:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupted.

Looks like somehow Windows overwrite or damaged the TrueCrupt header. I tried to load the drive and the main partition in TrueCrypt on my new drive, and both doesn't work ("Incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume")

I have a TrueCrypt rescue disc but I recently changed the password on my main drive. At the moment I ran out of ideas, the data are very important and I didn't have a recent backup...

Hopefully some of the experts here can offer some help, especially the legendary dantz :) Thanks to everyone who have read this far.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. GSD

GSD Registered Member

Here's what the drives looks like in Disk Management if it helps.

Disk 2 is the new drive, the one I tried to install Windows on.

Disk 1 is the old drive with my old Windows. Note that after Windows 7 was installed on Disk 2, when I go to My Computer, for some reason the first partition on Disk 1 was given the drive letter "D:", which I can open but with nothing in it (there was ~70MB of data in that partition, and now that I think about it, maybe I can't see any files in it because I didn't turn on show hidden files and system files)

The second partition was given drive letter "E:" but it wasn't formatted.

The other drives are data drive which are also encrypted, but they are fine (I can open them in TrueCrypt in the new system drive)

Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. GSD

GSD Registered Member

After days of repeat cycles of cloning the drive, trial and fail, I've found that the data on the old drive is fine, I can mount it in TrueCrypt by going to "System - Mount Without Pre-Boot Authentication". The data wasn't damaged as I expected, however I am still unable to get the drive to boot.

I restore the MBR from a backup I had of the drive, however Windows still won't boot, anyone got any idea why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.