Truecrypt No OS

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by d3po, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d3po

d3po Registered Member

I used truecrypt to my hard drive. Didnt notice much difference except for the truecrypt boot loader every time i started up my pc. I pressed esc and went on with my day. However a folder i use a lot suddenly went corrupted. Trying to save it i ran the TC rescue disc and decrypted the whole hard drive.

Then it couldn't find windows anymore. I can access the bios and get into the win7 installation disk. I spent days trying to get back in and here is some of my attempts.
    -TC rescue disk - restore system boot/restore keys. Boot, esc, tried every option on it.
    -Win 7 recovery (cant see a hard drive nore an existing OS.
    -Command all the fixmbr bootrec stuff did nothing.
    - Update bios (the disc didnt want to boot)
    - Various internet boot cds (never got them to boot properly)
    -Safe mode (It cant find utilities to run)
    - Usb win7 booting (it reacted the same as the cdrom)
    -Chkdsk (command) only works on C but doesnt display the whole amount.
    - diskpart, list (command) here i can see my hard drive and the full amount of gb.

Here is were i am at now. Trying to boot just using the hard drive takes me to an all black page with a cursor blinking on the top left corner, nothing happens after that. Bios looks the same. TC rescue disk just says "booting" and never goes forwards. Win7 repair tells me to restart, it never does anything.

I ran out of things to try now. The reason i cant ask on Tc forum is because of their mail policy (need paid mail adress). I hope you guys can make me wiser.

2. tateu

tateu Registered Member

Yikes, I hope that the above information is incorrect. If you really just pressed escape to get into Windows, instead of actually typing a password, that means your drive was never really encrypted in the first place. And if you then used the TC rescue disc to decrypt an already decrypted drive...you are in for a world of pain. There have been several users who have done something similar and there is no easy way back. I can't even remember for sure if anyone has successfully gotten their data back from a situation such as this. Your best bet, is to just reinstall windows and restore your data from a backup.

3. d3po

d3po Registered Member

ah i see. Thats probably what happend.

Edit: I have now run the Hirens Boot CD. It works but, it says my C: is unformatted. Most of the tools i run cant get to the disk.
    I do see it, and the volume. How do i access an "unformatted" drive?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.