Truecrypt: "incorrect volume size"

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by newbeez, Aug 26, 2017.

1. newbeez

newbeez Registered Member

I have a situation and I think you guys might have some suggestions.
    I'm running truecrypt 7.2 on Windows 7. While TC volume is mounted, I moved the TC file onto another folder and rebooted my PC. when it booted up the TC file went from 100GB to zero bytes. Before my C drive only has 40GB left, now it is 140GB. The only attribute left of the TC file was the time it was created. I tried to mount it and I'm receiving "incorrect volume size". Can someone please recommend how to restore this volume back?

2. newbeez

newbeez Registered Member

@dantz Thank you for all the tips that you shared with other members. I used winhex to recover the header of TC. I ended up buying the license so I can export the entire file container. It was a long and tedious process trying to find the start of the cluster but it paid off. After restoring the header using the option "Restore the volume header from the backup embedded in the volume.", windows did not recognize the volume right away so I right click on the volume and use "Repair Filesystem" which launches the chkdsk function. The contents of the volume were intact and restored successfully.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.