TrueCrypt + Grub Questions

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Oceans80, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans80

Oceans80 Registered Member

At first, I signed up just to post this question, however, after looking around, I'm diggin this place...

Anyway, I apologize because I see A LOT of TrueCrypt questions and I'm sure they get old, I did however search the forum somewhat and couldn't find a good answer for what I am looking for...

Basically, I want to set my computer up as Win7 as my Decoy System and Fedora15 as my Hidden OS...

My question is, are their any issues with Grub (or Grub2, not sure what F15 is running)?

From what I understand, at boot, TrueCrypt prompts for password and depending on the password entered, the selected OS boots...

What I am gathering through my research is that it looks like when you do this setup, when you enter the TrueCrypt password, it only boots to Grub and then I have to choose OS...

If someone can point me in the right direction or give me an idea how this is done, it'd be much appreciated...

(TrueCrypt is not neccessary by the way, any alternatives are fine too, I just don't know of any of the top of my head...)

Thanks in advance!!

2. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

I have read from several places of people having trouble using TrueCrypt for encryption while dual-booting. I have no direct experience though.

I would recommend considering using DiskCryptor instead of TrueCrypt for this purpose because it is GPLv3 and has explicit support for GRUB http://diskcryptor.net/wiki/Main_Page/en

DiskCryptor documents may contain directions for how to setup a dual-boot with encryption using GRUB.

3. Oceans80

i was checking out diskcryptor

i like how it sounds and im gonna check it out...one more question:

if i boot into linux, will it be possible to access my windows partition through nautilus or will the encryption make files unreadable?

4. x942

x942 Guest

I've done this before with fedora 14 and Win 7. Fedora was LUK's encrypted and windows was TC encrypted. I then used grub to pass off to TC. The way I did it was like this:
    option 1) Windows 7 (Broken) <---- this one actually wiped the HDD
    option 2) Fedora 14 <----- LUKs encrypted
    option 3) Boot N' Nuke <---- This one boots Windows (Shows a fake message at TC boot loader saying " MISSING BOOT RECORD") Enter password and boots windows 7.

Option 1 is actually a custom DBAN image that boots into auto-nuke with NSA 7-wipe. :D

Anyways what you are trying to do is possible but does have some draw backs. Example being Fedora (for me at least) wont boot properly without some fixing to grub after initial install. Some other issues occur as well. I recommend looking at fedora's forums for help setting it up right. Diskcryptor is a lot easier to setup this way.

5. Oceans80

I am looking for tutorials right now on how to set it up with one password boots Windows, one password boots Fedora

I have 5 partitions

1) 16.6GB "Recovery Partition"
    2) 222.1GB "Windows 7 Partition"
    3) 19GB "F15 / partition"
    4) 199.3 "F15 /home partition"
    5) 8.5GB "F15 Swap partition"
    (The numbers were originally rounded numbers, but it didn't like that, it was to easy, so it switched how the sizes to un-rounded numbers haha)

Anyway, like I said, I am trying to find tuts to set up that it will prompt for password at boot and depending on the password, the corresponding OS will boot..it says on the website that it is possible...just not exactl sure how to do it and I don't want to start encrypting and messing around and end up losing everything lolol...

6. Enigm

Enigm Registered Member

Where ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.