TrueCrypt for selective access over LAN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by paul1149, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul1149

paul1149 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm trying to effect selective network privacy using Win7 Home Premium. The problem with Home Premium is that there is no reliable way to be selective about who on the LAN gets to access shared folders. It's either everyone, or it's no one.

So, short of upgrading all the machines in the house to Pro, so we could switch from Workgroup to Domain control, or setting up multiple routers and subnets with different permissions, I was wondering if I could do this with TrueCrypt.

The problem is this: When an encrypted share is mounted by the host machine, everyone on the LAN sees it. No gain there.

The alternative, the documentation says, is to Share the encrypted file container on the LAN, and let the clients decrypt it remotely on demand. The problem there is that a) so far as I can see, Windows does not support Sharing files (only folders or drives), and b) even if it could be done, the documentation says it would have to be in read-only mode, else the data could be changed by simultaneous clients.

So I don't see a way forward. Does anyone have any ideas, either with TrueCrypt or otherwise?

Thanks,
    p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.