TrueCrypt Drive Reformatted in Win7

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by raywood, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raywood

raywood Registered Member

I know I'm not the first with this problem, but hopefully there have been positive developments that aren't turning up in my searches.

I had a drive entirely encrypted using TrueCrypt. I believe the option I used was "Encrypt a non-system partition/drive." It was, in any event, the option that causes Windows 7 to helpfully offer to reformat the drive, every time I connect it. And of course, one day, not paying attention, I took Windows 7 up on that offer. I know, now, that there are steps I could have taken to foil that message. Older and wiser.

Having reformatted the drive, I proceeded to copy ~40GB of material to it. Well, why not? Big, empty 1TB drive sitting there, just begging to be used.

Finally, eons later, I realized what I had done. So the ~40GB of material is off, and I have not further written to the drive. TrueCrypt is willing to restore the volume header, or so it says, but when I run the Repair Filesystem option, I get this:

Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk.
    Windows cannot recover master file table. CHKDSK aborted.
    Unable to obtain a handle to the event log.
    That's the situation. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.