Truecrypt Download Statistic, You waiting?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TECHWG, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

If you look at the statistics for the trucrypt downloads, sub versions eg (a or b) are always downloaded more than a initial release eg (4.3 or 4.0).

Will you download and install 5.0? or wait for 5.0a ?

I personally have installed and am going through the process of moving my data from one partition to the other, so i can make the encrypted partitions from new, so i get the new method which is more secure and faster, i may try the WDE once im settled into the new version.

o_O

2. wraithdu

wraithdu Registered Member

I think the subversions are downloaded more because they generally are released fairly quickly after the main versions. If you check the news archives, you'll see there is about a year between new main version releases, and usually only 2-3 months between subversions. So I wouldn't necessarily draw any conclusions from the download numbers.

However you could say you're pretty safe if you want to wait 2-3 months for a 5.0a based on the past release timeline.

3. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

I have already downloaded 5.0, and I'll likely upgrade my containers to the new formats for the already mentioned reasons in this forum.

However, I am also inclined to agree with someone elses position of not encrypting my entire drive until TrueCrypt's forums are back online and dialog is re-established between users and developers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.