Truecrypt developer reliability?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by wearetheborg, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x942

x942 Guest

Is secure boot turned on? When secure boot is on the UEFI Will only boot from a bootloader/MBR that is digitally signed. This would break TC's Bootloader. (Although their are ways around it apparently most UEFI's except ANY digital signature so if you were to sign it yourself you could boot (Don't quote me on the last part I just remember reading it somewhere).

2. SplinterCell

SplinterCell Registered Member

Hmm, I have the SABERTOOTH 990FX. After going through every feature with a fine-tooth comb and countless overclock adjustments I've never noticed any secure boot. Will research later...

Moreover, I migrated my encrypted system (the whole HDD) to this motherboard from my old board with a non-UEFI bios. After the bios it went to the TrueCrypt bootloader and fired up without a hitch. Now I did have trouble getting into my drive with full drive encryption from Linux or any other alternate OS (TrueCrypt couldn't mount the OS partition, but it could mount another partition on the drive) since swapping boards to this UEFI bios. I always test, check and re-test everything especially when swapping major hardware (in this case if I had OS problems maybe I would've been locked out?).

Anyhow, I decrypted and then re-encrypted just my OS partition and now I can access my filesystem via TrueCrypt from an alternate OS. Haven't looked back since, till now. The UEFI bios is sounding like the culprit; however, as long as the whole drive isn't encrypted it's fine.

3. addi6584

addi6584 Registered Member

Fixed :shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.