TrueCrypt container damaged ? Strange situation

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Alein, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Alein

Alein Registered Member

Hi,
    this is my first post, so sorry if something I will do in wrong way.

Story is simple.
    1,New os instalaltion on SSD
    2.copy all data from old drive to ssd including truecrypt container.
    3.everything was working fine.
    4.I realized that alignment is wrong on SSD partition (4k blocks)
    5.Paragon Alignment Tool 4.0 Build 14819 Professional did the job
    6.everything is working fine, except truecrypt container. password is wrong or it is not TC container error.
    7.backup header is not working this same error.

Please help, I expect that some bits are moved, and since this fact TC can not recognize his format. But all data should be intact, at least huge percentage.

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Fortunately after reading #2 above I see that you still have a copy of the truecrypt container, from which you can recapture your data quite easily. Since you are using an SSD, the size of the TrueCrypt container is likely small.

Suggestion would be to create a brand new container on the SSD and then try and simply copy the data from the old drive to the now new container. TrueCrypt looks at an exact location within the container for what it needs to mount along with your password. If you have moved something by changing the drive parameters it might not be finding it correctly. We may have other options but this would be a super easy starting point for you.

In fact you can create a super small container on the SSD just for a trial and verify everything works, and then blow it away before creating the one I mentioned above. Takes a few minutes to know for sure. Size can be small say 100 meg for the test. No harm in testing first!

3. Alein

Alein Registered Member

Hi,
    I do not have a copy. Source drive was wiped out :( with backup I would not create post. Everything was working fine, so wiping was in background :)
    Forgive me but I do not understand your solution.
    BTW. container is 4GB triple encryption NTFS compressed

So your solution is:
    1.create new container (small one)
    2.copy something
    3.and what? What should I be looking for? What to compare with?

4. Palancar

4 GB is small so experimenting is easy. I am taking a complete stab here but an idea. Do you have access to a flash drive > 4GB (large enough to hold your file based TC volume)? Again, a stab here. Format your flash drive to ntfs using the OLD alignment model on your flash stick. Perhaps if you copy the current container from the SSD (with altered alignment) the volume will be restored to its original configuration internally and you might be able to open it using the flash. Worth a shot! If you get lucky and this works you can create a new volume as I mentioned above and copy the contents and you'll be good to go AND have a backup, which is always a solid idea. Good luck.

5. Alein

Alein Registered Member

Hmm,
    reverse the process. Make sense. I was able to find in paragon logs.
    (840 Evo 2nd partition)
    But how to reverse it with this same result ?(oposite)

Attached Files:

6. Palancar

There is no risk in my scenario because you are not touching the SSD at all. A 4 GB flash front to end is maybe 30 minutes of time. If it doesn't work just re-format and no harm but the half hour.

7. Alein

Alein Registered Member

Copy is corrupted. This same problem is with copy.
    So, somehow I need to find a way to re-align partition with file to original format.
    Problems
    1.what is original format. (there may be a way to find it. I have 2nd SSD this same, so I can create identical partition, and read their structure)
    2.tool

8. Palancar

SSD's can really be tough with how sectors are moved around sometimes on a re-alignment function. After many thousands of posts and years on a few forums I have never actually heard of your "new to me" issues. Its actually two --- re-alignment and SSD combined breaking a volume.

When I asked you to create a small volume on the "new" SSD alignment that was to confirm that TC still works fine on your SSD. i. e. - You can create and use volumes as long as they are created in the new alignment scheme to begin with? Just a quick check, was my goal there.

I am thinking about this scenario. In candor I am not well versed in SSD "insides" like I am with a normal drive platter. You may find your answer seeking it in an SSD forum and researching how you might return the alignment to original. That SSD and its hardware firmware, from where I sit, does unpredictable things. I will ask around at some sites I hang out on. This one intrigues me, although I am sure its far more "painful" for you.

9. Alein

Alein Registered Member

Thank you for help.
    Yes it is painful. I lost data which I can not recover. Impossible thing happens to me. I use to have backups, but this one day was different.:(
    At this moment nothing is working. TrueCrypt is not recognizing container. Any modification to partition layout is making no difference.
    I wish to know where is header primary and secondary, perhaps there is a difference. There may be just few bits moved or whole container is like "scramble egg". There should be a way to check integrity of the container. I moved to VeraCrypt. Perhaps there is a bug in TrueCrypt, or in Paragon, or in Samsung Firmware.
    I will keep file in original location for some time. Perhaps there is a way to do something, but I do not know about it yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.