TrueCrypt - can't mout d: after change password for system c:

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Manni79, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Manni79

Manni79 Registered Member

Hello,

I posted already on veracrypt forums. But I think VC is not same community as TC, and I am not sure if I get answers there. Now I found this good source of encryption discussions.

I used TrueCrypt and configured it 5 years ago.

Windows 7:
    C: SSD: System SSD PRE-Boot authentication - system volume encryption
    D: HDD: Normal Device was also encrypted - full volume encryption - One Data partition

I only had one Password to enter in pre-boot Authentication to mout both drives.
    So the d: HDD normal device was also auto-monted on every boot.

Now I used TrueCrypt GUI to change the Password, so I right-clicked on c: in TC GUI and changed password. But I did not think about d:. As I guess, I thought when I change the PW for c: TC sees that d: is auto-mounted with same PW and does the same.

My Problem:
    After changing the password of the C: SDD System drive, I did a reboot. After reboot can enter my newly changed password correctly and my system is booting fine. Not a problem for my booting system SSD.
    But now my D: HDD is missing. I have no d: drive anymore and also can't encrypt the HDD device with truecrypt. Any idea how?

I tried mout the missing volume (missing hdd) from "select device ..." Menu in TC GUI. I did several combinations of settings and selections. And i tried both passwords, the old password and also the new passowrd newly changed for c:.
    Bot nothing works.

When I select d: as device and try to mount, TC says that the password is wrong or did not find a TC volume. I am very sure about the password, because I entered it for 5 years. Now I can't mount d: hdd with old password and also not with new password. .

What should I do to get my missing D: HDD drive back and readable and again?

And chance of getting more infos for you. How can I get more information an d: about finding some truecrypt volumes?

I tried also "Restore Volume Header..." already. And on mount I check also the option "use backup header embedded in volume if available" but nothing works. Every time the same error message. Wrong password or did not find TC volume.

Perhaps I configured for d: HDD a hidden volume, I am not sure it is 5 years ago. If it was a d: hidden volume, what can I do to bring TC to mount my hdd again?

When somebody has a c: system device in pre-boot auth and also a auto-mounted encrypted d: device (full hdd volume), what happened exactly when changing the password for the c: system drive in the GUI?

I have never updated TrueCrypt, so I have the same TrueCrypt installed as 5 years ago. TC boot loader 7.1a.

Best regards
    Manni

2. Manni79

side note:
    After change pw of system drive ssd c: and rebooting and having my d: hdd missing, I did nothing to windows 7 disk management. On windows the hdd disk is not active and not mounted. Should I mark it active or do something else in windows disk management to be able again to mount the full hdd device/volume again?

3. Manni79

I fixed it for now, but I am very surprised. Can some one explain the following?

After several more tries of mounting HDD (formely d:) out of TC and without success, I decided to change my System Partion ssd "c:" password back to the old one. I found under TC Settings "System Favorite Volumes" that "d:" was configured here. That's why it was mounted with every boot.

After changing the pw for c: ssd back to the old one and reboot my PC, drive d: is back with all of my data. So I see, my missing HDD full volume encryption is back again.
    But I don't understand why.

1. Why I cant mount my HDD full volume encryption itself, without having the same PW on system c: encrypted?
    2. Anybody can explain me now, what I have to to, to change my encryption PW for both c: (system ssd) and d: (data hdd)? So I can auto-mount both after pre-boot auth, but with new password?

4. guest

guest Guest

If you add a System Favorite Volume (D:), it is automatically mounted with the pre-boot authentification password (C:)
    After changing of the pre-boot authentication password, the password for your System Favorite Volume (D:) is different and it can't be mounted.

Try to change the password for both (C: and D:)
    So you have the same password (Pre-Boot authentication password == password for the System Favorite Volume)

5. Manni79

Thanks.
    Ok. I can try to change the d: HDD password first, then the c: sdd system drive PW to the same.

But somebody knows why I can't mount my D: HDD drive itself in TC after changing PW for c: system drive? That means, I can not use my d: HDD without booting from c: when d: HDD is System favorite?

6. Manni79

It's not working for me. I can't change the PW for the System Favorite D: HDD (or I don't know how).
    When I select the device (the correct partition) which is shown in System Favorites for d: and choose "change Volume Password" (and enter correct PW as for c:), TC tells me again, that it is wrong Password or don't find TC volume. But there must be a TC volume, because it's mounted as encrypted system favorite at boot.

It's the same error I get, when I changed PW for C: and tried to mount D: manually after reboot in TC.
    So I think it's mainly the same reason, because I cant' mount d: manually after changing PW for system drive.

Any other idea?

Best regards
    Manni

7. guest

guest Guest

Try to remove D: from System Favorites (and unmount it) before you change the password for it.
    Are you able to change the password now?
    If yes, you can change the password for C: too. Now they have the same password and you can add it again to System Favorites.
    (If they are not sharing the same password, it will fail to mount)

8. Manni79

I don't get it.

I followed your advice and did this:
    - remove d: HDD from System favorites
    - Make a PC restart
    - D: HDD was not mounted anymore (as suggested)
    - Tried "select device" HDD-Partition1 and to change PW for d:, but again "Password wrong or not a TC volume" Error

- Then I wanted to mount d: hdd again, so again "select device" HDD-Partition1 and clicked on "mount" and it was mounted again. I didn't even had to enter my password, that was surprising to me. It seems that TC is trying system password and if it works don't ask for pw.
    So d: hdd was mounted again and I could add it as system volume again. So i learned a bit of new things, but same as before, I could not change the password for d: hdd.

- Info: After I remove d: hdd from system favorites and restart pc and d: mounted it again, I could click "volume properties" for d: to check if everything fine. And yes, when mounted TC is showing me that d: hdd is AES encrypted everything is fine also with backup header. So no problem seen. But I have no idea why I can't change the password. :-(

More ideas?

9. guest

guest Guest

This is puzzling.
    Is the following option enabled?
    TrueCrypt - System - Settings: "Cache pre-boot authentication password in driver memory (for mounting of non-system volumes"

If it is enabled, this should explain this:
    And in addition "Wipe cached passwords" in the Tools-menu of TrueCrypt can be seen.
    You can wipe the cached passwords and now try to change the password again for D:

If you have special characters or y/z in your password and are using a non-US keyboard layout, read the next section:

Especially on systems with a non-US keyboard layout:
    If you are entering "yes" at the pre-boot authentication prompt, the password for mounting of D: is actually "zes"

The pre-boot authentication password is always entered on a US keyboard layout, but after booting of the system with a non-US keyboard layout the password could be entered wrong.
    Make sure to switch to the US keyboard layout before entering the password in the "Change password or key files"-dialog.

10. Manni79

Thanks for the Keyboard tip again, it solved the puzzle.

Before, I was sure my PW has to be entered in my local Keyboard-language. Why? -> Because I changed already my PW for c: SSD, and it's the same as for d: hdd system favorite.

The problem was, I didn't notice that TC is so clever, to change my keyboard-lang in Windows to EN on changing password of system drive c:. :) TC do the Keyboard-lang change without even make a pop up or notice, so I missed it. Because TC makes the Keyboard-lang change on system drive c: automatically, I was so sure about the Password also for d:
    But in the end, I typed all the time the wrong password at password-change for d: hdd, because I never changed Keyboard-lang manually to EN for changing d: :ouch:

Now I did the following, and everything worked:
    - remove d: as system favorite
    - reboot PC
    - changed PW for D: HDD with "select device" and select the before mounted partition. On PW change, set Keyboard-lang to "EN", of course for both PW, the old and the new one.
    - changed PW for c:, TC makes the Keyboard-lang change to "EN" automatically, changed the PW to the same PW as the new d: password
    - mounted d: again
    - added d: as system favorite again
    - reboot PC and could use new password
    - all runs fine

I am not sure if reboot and remove system favorite is needed, but like this it worked.

Big thanks!!!

11. guest

guest Guest

Nice, the problem is solved :thumb:

12. guest

guest Guest

Btw.: You can mention the solution for your issue in the Veracrypt-forum. Maybe the other poster in the Veracrypt-forum has also used a wrong keyboard-layout.

13. Manni79

Good idea. It's done.

Big thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.