Truecrypt and Invalid Partiion Table... ug.

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by spiffy577, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiffy577

spiffy577 Registered Member

Hello all,

I have a truecrypt drive. I lost a mobo and had to swap it out. Upon reinstalling my two drives, I installed them reversed from the previous setup. Then I tried to reinstall xp. Well, xp likes to install it on the first drive. That was my encrypted drive. I did NOT format but I believe the xp setup decided to overwrite the partition table. Hang on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride.

I first went into the Computer Management and the drive is listed as dynamic and foreign.

In Computer Management, this is what I see....
    (Besides Disk 0)

Disk 1 (with the warning exclamation point)
    Dynamic
    Foreign

If I right click on it, I get three options:
    Convert to basic disk
    Properties
    Help

If I click on Properties, I get the properties info dialog box with four tabs. The "volumes" tab has the following information.
    Disk: Disk 1
    Type: Dynamic
    Partition style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
    Capacity: 0 MB
    Unallocated Space: 0 MB
    Reserved Space: 0 MB

Does this help?

I used winhex to examine the drive. I saw a couple text error msg at the beginning with "Invalid Partition Table" "Error Loading operating system" and "Missing operating system".

Also, at the end of the drive it has a bunch of very specific 00's. It has a few bits of data but most are 00's.

Lastly, there is a huge section of 00's at the beginning and eventually goes to actual data. Not sure how to see if it is at 32000 (or whatever) though. I have the offset view. I clicked on it to see the decimal but that didn't do anything. I used xp's scientific calc and found that 7e00 (where the data begins) is the 32256 in dec, exactly what I were looking for.

Does this mean that the xp setup rewrote the partition table and my data is still there? I have seen users use testdisk to recreate the partition. Would that work? Anyone have instructions on how to do this?

I used testdisk to get some info on the drive. Does this help?

TestDisk 6.12, Data Recovery Utility, May 2011
    Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org>
    http://www.cgsecurity.org

Disk /dev/sdb - 800 GB / 745 GiB - CHS 97281 255 63

Partition Start End Size in sectors
    > P Unknown 0 0 1 97281 80 63 1562824368

Anyone have any info please? This is a lot of data and no I don't have a backup. It is a tb of info and I don't have the space to back it up.

Anything can help.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.