TrueCrypt - 3 TB USB Installation Problem

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by incurablegeek, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First of all, I am new to TC, not to computers. I am only saying this so no one will think I don't know my way around Computer Management in particular or the Windows platform in general.

On this computer alone I have two SSD's (OS and Programs) and quite a number of WD HDD's. However, I only wish to use TC on my USB externals at the moment.

My first attempt at installing TC is failing miserably for the simple reason that my external 3TB USB HDD is not coming up on the TC list of volumes. Now of course I know that's because it's a 3TB volume and not a 1TB or 2TB volume.

The volume has been "prepared" in Computer --> Disk Management and can therefore be formatted as an open 3TB drive (already formatted and assigned a drive letter) or broken up into partitions (which I have not chosen to do).

So as to have "Plausible Deniability", I wanted to set up TC on the this 3TB external with a Hidden Volume that can automatically expand - expanded as needed or as I enter encrypted data in it.

Why am I posting on Wilders? Well, because you guys are nice and very tolerant (at least thus far) of my idiotic questions.

I now have an account over at the TC forums, but I'm a bit fearful that those folks might just tell me I'm a complete idiot.

Well actually I already know that. :'(

So as not to be completely helpless, I will be rooting my way through the TC PDF Manual, but I thought maybe one of the more experienced people here had dealt with this problem already.

-------------
    Oh yes, I have already been here but it is no help with a 3TB USB external hdd. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/isd/common/cst/good_practice/encrypt/encrypt/EncryptingUSBTrueCrypt

------------
    Also, your thoughts on:

1) https://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=9077

2) http://www.lostpassword.com/kit-forensic.htm

Yeh, I know. I read too much. Also, I worry even more. Story of my life. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Was that drive formatted using MBR or GPT scheme? Maybe the problem? Don't have any 3TB and have never used GPT, so I'm just throwing out possible answers.

PD

3. GPT of course. Ducks are highly intelligent animals you know. :eek:

Seriously, all 3TB are recognized in Computer (Disk Management) and in Explorer - just not in TC. Odd, isn't it?

4. PaulyDefran

Not if TC doesn't support GPT, not odd at all I would think. If it's blank, why not try MBR? If you can't do MBR for 3TB (like I said, my knowledge is weak here) then maybe a 2TB and 1TB is the best you can do at the moment?

PD

5. I absolutely agree. In fact, I can see no other reason. I may end up using the 3TB for other backup, and the 1TB and 2TB for TC.

Logically, and I consider myself a willing slave of Logic, I can see no other reason why TC won't recognize this external USB drive. You are probably correct. TC can only handle MBR.

Btw, you are quite a bit smarter than you give yourself credit for. I have been accused of downplaying what I know as well. What I have found, and I think we're both correct here, is that it's always better to appear less wise than you might actually be.

Chest pounding and braggadocio just turn people off and lead one to an unjustified sense of self-confidence. Technology is changing and evolving at such a rapid rate. Anyone who touts himself as a Computer Genius is just Humpty Dumpty about ready to take a great fall.

Thanks for the benefit of your time and knowledge. :thumb:

6. PaulyDefran

...And I learned it all on Wilders! :D

PD

7. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

3tb , no problem ive done several 3tb encrypts in the past , it works flawless , what you want to make sure is you completely erase the drive , that means the mbr or gpt thats been setup as well , as far as i remember , it has to be completely clean, then proceed in truecrypt , select your encryption algorithm and method, the drive and you good to go, mind you this isnt like with an encrypted OS where you first have to set partitions , non os volumes dont recquire this in advance, tc does everything for you , with minimal work from yourself, you just gotta set the partition size in the creation wizard

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

off topic posts removed

9. PaulyDefran

Good info. Didn't know you could do a raw drive, with no file system.

PD

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

That's how I do all my partition mounted external drives. I started initializing them in Windows Disk Manager, but I don't do anything beyond that. If you leave them uninitialized, Windows will prompt you every time the drive is plugged in.

11. happyyarou666

happyyarou666 Registered Member

lols , no i meant before going through the tc volume creation wizard , in tc itself while setting up a volume you must select the file system type youd like of course like ntfs or fat32 etc :rolleyes:, btw 0strodamus is right about the initializing for external drives , dont matter too much for internal hdds at all , but interesting for externals

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.