TrueCrpyt Hidden Volume

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

If someone was to create a Turecrypt 20gb standard encrypted file container, and then created a hidden volume within that container of 10gb then could the container's hidden volume be detected by measuring unaccounted for partition space on your drive? Will the standard volume still read as 20gb when mounted or does Truecrypt allocate 10gb of partition for each volume. If the standard volume was mounted using the password then could the hidden volume be detected by writing 20gb of data to the standard encrypted container. Would it say there's not enough space if the hidden volume already contained 5gb of data or does Truecrypt use 30gbs of partition space? I can see hiding a small hidden volume, but can a large hidden volume be detected. I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. I've never used a hidden partition.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  2. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

A hidden volume hides in the unused space at the end of the standard volume. The hidden volume must have contiguous space at the end of the drive.
    The standard volume knows nothing about the hidden one so if you keep adding data, eventually you will overwrite the hidden volume and corrupt it.
    You can mount both volumes at the same time by supplying the password to both. This allows the standard volume to know where the hidden data starts and thus prevent overwriting it.
    The tricky part about plausible deny-ability is that if someone forces you to decrypt the standard one they may also ask you to write data to the end of the partition to "prove" you don't have hidden data there. You must be prepared to destroy this data to maintain denyability.
    If you read the truecrypt manual all this is explained in full detail. This encryption stuff is very complex so take your time, read the manual, and search the TC forums. Just don't post there because the regulars are rude and intolerant plus the admins delete posts randomly.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Thanks Chiraldude! I will read through the manual, and take a look on their forum.

4. TyBryner

TyBryner Registered Member

Thanks for the uh...compliment?

To the OP: Please don't hesitate to post on the official truecrypt forums just because a couple people there are rude (just like pretty much any forum.)

Many of us actually do try to be helpful and pleasant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.