True Positive at Prevx database?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GabolaN, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabolaN

GabolaN Registered Member

Hi there

I found on Prevx database the folowwing file:

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/993880321557136888-0/MSNCLEANER2EEXE.html

If we are talking about the anti-malware tool, wich is in fact called MSNCleaner.exe, it´s surely a false positive. I run a EDGE scan today and the program didn´t found the MSNCLEANER.EXE, so I strongly recomend to up-to-date that file on the database.

Cheers

EDIT: Is "True positive" correct? How should it be? In spanish we know these phrases as "Falsos positivos" and "Falsos Negativos". Many thanks.-

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    Some infections use the same filename as legitimate programs - we have thousands of programs named "MSNCleaner.exe", the database just picks the best match which currently seems to be malicious.

If you do encounter a MSNCleaner.exe which is found by Edge or CSI that you think is clean, please let us know.

3. GabolaN

Right. Many thanks, I passed EDGE on the true malware tool and didnt detected, so everithing was just OK. I´ll keep informing you if I find something wrong.

Have a nice day an many thanks

EDIT: Is "True positive" correct? How should it be? In spanish we know these phrases as "Falsos positivos" and "Falsos Negativos"

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If a program is really not malicious but is found as malicious, that is considered a false positive. If a program is malicious but is not found as malicious, that is considered a false negative.

Hope that helps :D

5. GabolaN

Really helpfull! Done, phrases added to my english dictionary xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.