True Image V11 - Not seeing on S-ata drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Fizz, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fizz

Fizz Registered Member

I have an Nforce3-a motherboard with two Sata Samsung identical 500gb drives. One has one partition the other has 4 partitions on it. Note these are not running in any array. When trying to restore or booting from CD the only drive that appears visible is the one drive with one partition on it... some messages do pop up but I cant see them as they disapear to quick. Nothing in the log files either...

Desperate now as V10 didn't see either drives and I need to restore my C drive due to corruption

2. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

Things to investigate:

- Does your BIOS recognize the drive?
    - Does Windows recognize the drive?
    - Does Device Manager indicate drive is OK? Any indication of a missing driver for that drive?
    - Is there any instance of yellow 'question mark' symbols in Device Manager, under any entry?

If the driver for that drive is corrupted, get out the CD that came with your motherboard and install/reinstall SATA driver.

My PS failed recently. After replacing the PS, my SATA drive was not recognized. Device Manager showed a mysterious unidentified yellow question mark, vaguely described as a PCI device problem. The problem was corrupted SATA driver - fixed as suggested above.

Hope this helps!

3. Fizz

Fizz Registered Member

Answers to above...

yes Bios ok
    Yes windows recognises the drive
    Yes device manager fine.. nothing amis
    No question marks...

everything is working fine.. using the pc now in fact... no problems seeing the drives at all in windows. The only thing I can think is that the software does not recocognise the fact that there is an ide channel 2 & 3 properly... just need to restore C drive as I have corrupted some things to do with CD ripping and MP conversion etc.. it's easier to restore the drive.. if I could see it that is...

so no help at all... Cannot understand it personally... True image 10 saw neither drives to at least 50% imprevement.. have to wait till version 12 to see all my data then!!!

4. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

Hi Fizz,
    I'm in the same boot as you, also having 2 Sata Samsung identical 500gb drives,
    the problem with mine is that 1 is connected on a SATA-port that is driven by the Jmicron controller. Allthough the BIOS & Windows correctly find the drives, ATI10 only sees the one that is on the Intel SATA-controller, and not seeing the one on the Jmicron controller. Too bad, I made all my partition backups on this second (Jmicron driven) SATA drive, so I can't do anything for the moment.

I filled a ticket, when I get a solution I'll keep you informed.

5. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Fizz,

I thing gud4u, working from theory, is running you down the wrong track and wasting your time. I have had the same problem with ATI11's bootcd with my Intel motherboard/SATA, which had worked fine with the bootcd's of ATI 9 and ATI 10 all versions. When booting the ATI 11 cd, error messages flashed by too quick to read, then drive 1 (if 1 is the first physical device, not 0) is not visible to ATI. The only drive offered is drive 2. I don't believe the number of partitions on the physical drive mattered. Obviously no damn good at all to recover a system partition on the first device.

I needed to go back to an ATI10/4292 bootcd to fix my system. BUT KNOW THIS, if the folder has tib's from both v. 10 and 11 together, you may be skronked. The presence of 11 created files with 10's seems to freeze the ATI 10 bootcd, no matter whether you pick safe or full mode.

The other option you have is to do a new install of Windows. New install of ATI 11, and then effect the restore from inside Windows with a reboot.

hth,

Semi

6. Fizz

Fizz Registered Member

ATI10 does not see ANY of the drives...

When trying to restore from within windows both ATI10 and ATI11 need to reboot as I'm trying to re-install the C drive, both reboot, do nothing and reboot back into windows...

Load of rubbish... with I had stayed with my tried and trusted older products now!!!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Fizz, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo26.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and will definitely provide you with a solution.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

8. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Hi Fizz,

I am new to TI but I would suggest that you build a BartPE CD with TrueImage Plugin. This way you should see all drives correctly through the Windows drivers. The Acronis Linux drivers are a bit like lottery :(

Regards,
    Anguel

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you "effect the restore from within Windows", ATI reboots into the same Linux OS that ATI uses on the Boot CD and it undoubtedly is the Linux drivers that are the problem here.

10. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Really? I thought that a Bart PE CD would solve all Linux driver problems... :(

11. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

Then you are not "effect[ing] the restore from within Windows"

12. Nailzaz

Nailzaz Registered Member

I'm getting this issue now with TI 11.

My main drive is wiped - no windows and so I have to use a boot CD. I've tried both TI 10 & 11, but neither see my sata drive. It used too - weird.

- Does your BIOS recognize the drive?
    Yes

- Does Windows recognize the drive?
    Windows and the drive were wiped :(

Any advice?

Thanks

13. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

This version seems not very stable.

No problem with ATI V10 but having problem with this one.

14. Fizz

Fizz Registered Member

Report sent and tecnichal support issue raised..

To note TI10 did not see any drive on my Sata that's why I got 11... not only see 1...

15. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Hi all!

The following in not an allround solution, but I have tried it on a new Dell Vostro computer and it may be a good advice for some people. I have only tried it on a SATA controller set to RAID mode in BIOS but please note that the connected drives were in NON-RAID mode. This will NOT work with drives set to a RAID0 array and will probably NOT work with drives set to a RAID1 array. So be careful - you may lose your data!!!
    The story is the following: In my DELL BIOS the SATA controller can be set to two modes:
    1. The good old IDE compatibility mode which is pretty slow but works with any OS (and the new TI 11).
    2. The modern RAID mode which sets the SATA controller to its native Intel RAID Controller mode. The problem is that this mode needs special drivers that are loaded through F6 during Windows installation and are not supported in every Linux. That's where the problems of TI 11 come from. The advantage of setting RAID mode in BIOS is that the drives run much faster with the special Windows drivers and you can convert them to RAID0 or RAID1 arrays later if you like to.

It is important to understand the following: If you set IDE mode in BIOS it is like putting an old IDE controller into your computer - slow but compatible with any OS. If you set RAID mode in BIOS it is like taking out this IDE controller and putting a modern Intel RAID Controller inside, which of course needs special drivers to work.

Setting RAID mode for SATA in your BIOS does NOT mean that you have to use a RAID1 or a RAID0 array at all. Your disks can just stay in NON-RAID mode but you have all the speed benefits and you can convert to RAID1 or RAID0 later if you like to (as said above).

So RAID is the BIOS mode I use. I set the DELL BIOS to RAID mode and installed Windows by pressing F6 and loading the special Intel RAID Controller drivers.

The problem is that TI 11 boot CD will not start when RAID mode is set in BIOS and I cannot access my drives from outside Windows. So I asked myself the following question: Why not just switching back to good old IDE mode in my BIOS, i.e. just like removing the new controller and putting back the good old IDE controller inside? Yes, I did this and than TI 11 CD booted normally and recognized all partitions. I think there are no differences in the disk contents/structure between IDE mode and RAID mode set in BIOS as long as the disks are still in NON-RAID mode. The disks are just accessed through different drivers. Of course if you backup/restore with TI 11 Boot CD now in IDE mode and if you do not set the BIOS back to RAID mode after that, your windows will not boot properly - it will show a blue screen because the installed drivers do not see the Intel RAID controller that was there before. So now you have set your BIOS back to RAID mode and boot into Windows.

As I mentioned above, I think the whole procedure will not work with disks set to RAID1 array, because in this case the controller stores some information about the RAID1 array (I have no idea where this is stored) and this information may be lost when you switch back to IDE mode. So be very careful and good luck! Any comments are welcome!

Anguel

16. shieber

I reckon you're joking, but jsut for the recrods, and others that might trip onto this thread:

Building the BartPE disk is an alternative to the ATI Boot disk, which uses linux or effecting the restore from within widnows, which reboots into linux. The whole reason folks use the BartPE is to use windows as the OS instead oif linux and take advantage of the windows drivers that they know work with their hardware.

17. shieber

ATI 11.8027 cannot see Intel chipset RAIDs. It's a bug; ATI is working on it but they haven't figured it out yet. Prior versions of ATI (8, 9, 10) could see INtel RAIDs. If you have Intel RAID, you can't restore with ATI 11 , at least not unless you build a BartPE disk.

It could be days or months before a version of ATI is released that handles Intel RAIDs. Imo, you are entitled to your money back if that's how you want to go; or wait for the next release, or build a BartPE disk.

18. danxmanly

danxmanly Registered Member

Thought I'd chime in as well on this bug we seem to have. Recently got rid of Norton Ghost in favor of the Acronis software so I'm just starting to implement it.

Have an Asus mobo with Intel processor. 3 HD's in the system. None in RAID config yet but was about to set up 2 drives in Raid 1, third as a restore drive in case of virus corruption. ( can you tell I've been burned once before? :D )

All drives show up while running Acronis under normal windows startup. So, I did my initial backup of C drive to the spare. Verified image and all looked fine. Created the boot CD of Acronis to test and see if I could rebuild the image on my C drive from the spare, and the only drive I can see in the Acronis shell off the boot CD is the spare drive. So, software is basically useless and I have no safety net right now as I can't rebuild. All drives are on the same SATA controller, yet only one shows up? All do show up in BIOS.

I'm using version 11 as I just got an email to a free upgrade as I bought V10 last month, but hadn't tried to test it yet so don't know if that problem was there or not in prvious version.

Is this what everyone else is seeing as well?

Any suggestions Acronis? I reallllllly don't wanna have to use ghost again?!

19. danxmanly

Just a little update to my above post.. I grabbed the acronis boot disc I made and put it in my other computer and all drives / partitions show up fine. It's an older P4 w/ ASUS mobo, running XP.

Guess I'll start a svc tkt and see what might be causing the probs in my new system.

( Intel Core 2 duo, ASUS mobo, XP )

20. shieber

What Southbridge chip is on your mobo? Intel, nvidia?? If Intel and the RAID driver is enabled in the BIOS or the AHCI? Even if no arrays are set up, that appears to be enough to keep the ATI linux on the BootCD from seeing those drives.

21. danxmanly

I think it's Nvidiao_O My mobo is the ASUS P5N32E-SLI.

From it's spec sheet:

NVIDIA® Dual X16 SLI
    (C55+MCP55P; a.k.a. nForce®650i SLI & nForce®570 SLI)
    ASUS HybridUp Technology
    * Support SLI-Ready Memory Technology

South bridge supports:
    - 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66/33
    - 6 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s
    - NVIDIA MediaShield™ RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA drives

With that stated... I don't have RAID enabled in the bios. So what you stated about conflicts being caused if RAID is enabled but not set up doesn't apply to my situation. Still not seeing all the drives even w/o RAID enabled in bios.

My main goal here is to set up Drive 0 & 1 in RAID 1 configuration as they are both the same size and type drive. Third drive which has my complete computer image on, is what I want to rebuild from onto the RAID, then boot from that. So I will need to be able to use the Acronis CD to do that, hence have to be able to see the RAID and single drive from that disc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  22. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

That was also my experience but today I built a new server with an Intel S3000AH board with Intel 3000 chipset and ICH7R. The board BIOS can be set to two different Soft-RAIDs: LSI SATA RAID oprom -or- Intel Matrix RAID oprom. Just for testing I booted Acronis TI 11 and it started and showed me all 4 harddisks (although these were factory new and empty). It recognized them in both modes LSI RAID and Intel RAID mode. I was really amazed. Of course the disks were still empty as I said... I will try again if I have the time with disks set to RAID1.

UPDATE: I have set up the disks to RAID 1 arrays and now the picture is completely different!!! :(
    1. Intel RAID set in BIOS: TI 11 does not see any of the RAID1 arrays/disks anymore!!! It only sees the NON-RAID disks. So the boot CD is UNUSABLE with RAID1.
    2. LSI RAID set in BIOS: TI 11 sees all 4 disks as single disks although I have configured them to RAID1 arrays using the LSI Embedded RAID utility. So this is even more dangerus from my point of view. Conclusion: Here TI 11 boot CD is also completely UNUSABLE :(

Acronis, I hope you are working on the RAID problems day & night!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  23. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

The arrays should be the least problem. As I reported in my previous post, as soon as you switch from IDE to RAID it equals to putting a completely different harddrive controller into your PC.

UPDATE: It looks like the RAID1 arrays are really the problem for TI 11 boot CD. TI 11 does not see any of them, it sees only the NON-RAID disks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  24. shieber

So are the reports of ATI 11 seeing nvidia RAIDs due to their being RAID0 or do yu thin this applies only to Intel chipset RAID1?

25. shieber

I thought the backup program was supposed to see a RAID array as a single logical disk -- all the physcal disk arangement into an array should be transparent to programs trying to access the logical disk (the array), inlcuding disk image backup programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.