True Image Trial version

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gas, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gas

gas Guest

Will the trial version (build 826) recognize an external Hdrive attached by USB when you boot from the bootable recovery cd? Or must you buy the full version to get this feature?
    When I tried to test the restore feature of my TI bootable cd, it did not show the external drive, where I saved my tib file.
    o_O?

2. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

I brought this subject up before, but no one seemed to be having any problems with firewire-attached drives; which is commonly used with external HDD's. Here's the thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77782
    I don't know if it's the trial version that's causing you problems. Some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to answer that for you.

Good Luck,
    Søul

3. gas

gas Guest

Thanks for the info SOUL, however, my external Western Digital drive is not using Firewire, just USB. I am interested in purchasing the full version "IF" it will recognize my external drive. So far nothing I have been able to do, gets the trial version to see this drive. Hopefully Tech support can advise us if this is merely a trial version issue and not of the paid version as well.
    gas

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I have a friend with TI, and he has no problem using a WD USB 2.0 external hard drive. He makes his images directly to the WD drive, and they verify without a problem.

5. gas

gas Guest

jmk94903

As my original post said...I am able to save an image file to my external HD, I just can't see the external HD, with the saved tib file when I boot into Acronis from the bootable CD using the trial version. So my question remains...is TI 8 unable to see an external HD attached to the computer using USB 2.0 when you boot up the computer using the Acronis bootable CD?

6. AirNZ

AirNZ Guest

The trial and full are no different in respect of seeing external USB drives.

Some work and some don't. It seems to depend on the type of drive/firmware/how connected etc. (Thats why a trial is good so you don't buy a product that won't work on your hardware)

If you can't see it from the boot CD in the trial then you won't see it in the paid boot cd

You will see other threads on this topic.

Some people - me included- purchased TI and had trouble when they got an external USB drive. I got a PE plugin from Acronis so I could use BARTPE which boots into a WINDOWS environment and in my case meant I could see the USB drive and use TI.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gas,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Your external drive should be visible with trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0. Could you please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround as described at Acronis Help Post and if it doesn't work please create the sysinfo.txt file described at the same post and send it to support@acronis.com. We will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. gas

gas Guest

Ilya
    Thanks for your response...
    Let me update you on what my system has and what I found out. I have:
    An Asus P4C800 deluxe Mobo,
    1 floppy drive Drive A;\
    2 internal Hd's (drive C:\ bootable 80gig, Fat32, drive F:\ 80gig, NTFS used for internal backup storage with a different backup program)
    2 CD Rom Drives (D:\ and E:\) both Sony, one is a CDR-W,
    1 External 160gig Hd connected by USB 2. This drive is partitioned into 2 partitions. The bootable partition (drive G:\ is FAT32 the other partition (drive H:\) is used for backup storage of image files, using your program, and is NTFS. All works well and the backup images are stored normally.
    When I boot using the rescue cd, I did not notice that the external drive was now being represented by Drive B:\ in the tree. When I clicked on it, I see only the Fat32 partition files, the NTFS partition is no where to be found in the tree, either as a subset of the B:\ drive or a stand alone drive with a different drive letter associated with it in the treeo_O?
    I tried with and without using the acpi=off noapic suggestion, but neither way shows the NTFS partition of the external drive.
    Thus to make a long rambling post short...the rescue CD does see the external drive's Fat32 partition, but not the NTFS partition. Any ideas?

9. Acronis Support

Hello gas,

Thank you for the clarification. Your NTFS partition should be visible as a separate partition with its own drive letter. I would recommend that you label each your partition in Windows and then boot with Acronis Bootable CD. This will allow you to determine which partition which letter is assigned.

If there is no NTFS partition please create the sysinfo.txt as I proposed in my previous post and send it to support@acronis.com. We will try to help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. gas

gas Guest

Ilya
    The external drive's partitions already have labels, however the only partition that is visible in the rescue cd says that it is a removable drive and assigns it to the B:\ drive letter. It doesn't show the label that it has.
    I created the sysinfo.txt file and emailed it to support@acronis.com
    Hopefully there is something simple that can be determined before I decide to purchase the full version.
    Thanks for your help.
    gas

11. PC Doctor

PC Doctor Guest

12. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

My experience with TI8 is that it recognizes a number of USB 2.0 drives.

One trick I learned back with TI6, and have continued to do ever since, is that the drive must be plugged into the computer BEFORE rebooting with the TI bootable CD.

I have mixed FAT32 and NTFS partitions on my external drives, and TI8 sees them all, both from within windows (XP) and from the bootable CD.

Of course, firewire also works, but no better or worse than USB 2.0.

13. gas

gas Guest

Thanks for the info PC Doctor and rharris270,

My USB settings are set correctly in the bios and the external drive is always attached to the computer (and thus is on at bootup), so it is always ready to do my multiple backups each day.
    Everything works just fine with TI when saving the images to the external drive's NTFS partition. TI sees the drive's two partitions while in Windows, it just doesn't see the NTFS partition of the external drive (where I keep the tib image file) when I boot from the rescue disko_O?
    Very odd.
    gas

14. Acronis Support

Hello gas,

If you do not receive any response from Acronis Support Team within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

15. gas

gas Guest

Irina:

I just got a response from the support team this morning...however their instructions did not do anything...please see their instructions and my response below...by the way they never told me what to do with the info I was suppose to get, had their instructions worked. My Acronis # is 233838

In a message dated 5/6/2005 7:01:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, support@acronis.com writes:
    After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the "OK" button and wait for # prompt to appear. Please insert a diskette into a floppy disk drive and issue the following command:

product

Gentleman:
    I followed the above instructions, however when I typed the word product at the # sign, nothing happens...if I hit the Enter Key after typing the word product, it just takes me to the DOS program shell for the Acronis program. Nothing is written to the floppy. What is supposed to happen when I type the word product? And am I supposed to hit the Enter Key?
    Stan
    PS When I remove quite and hit OK, as you know, a lot of info flashes by on the screen. I have seen the word error in some of the text as it scrolls by...I wonder if this has anything to do with my problem.

16. Acronis Support

Hello gas,

If the hardware device proved to be detected, but is unavailable in GUI (Graphical User Interface), we can suggest to boot in quiet-off mode and issue product command. But this workaround doesn't work for you. When you remove quite ang hit OK you get the messages being displayed as the Linux kernel is loaded.

I found your letter, your issue with the sysinfo.txt file will be forwarded to our Development Team. As this can take a few days, we apologize in advance for any delay with response.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.