True Image Stops Responding

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lonepinedm, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonepinedm

lonepinedm Registered Member

I have True Image 10, latest build, installed on a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have multiple images stored on an external USB HD. My harddisk began having issues so I bought a new drive and installed in my laptop. Booting from the restore CD I made, I am able to get True Image to start in either safe or full mode. I try to restore with one of the images and after the restore starts, my mouse pointer disappears and my system stops responding. I tried this from safe and full versions. I have tried restoring from all of the images that I have. Same results. I restored my system to the original factory image from the recovery cd supplied with my system. I clean installed TrueImage and updated to current version. I installed my old drive into an external USB container and was able to create a image and verify successfully. I created a new recovery CD. I then tried restoring from windows, restoring from the old and new recovery CD and I tried cloning the old drive to the new drive. All the results are the same. TrueImage stops responding and my mouse pointer disappears. It seems that the operation quits in different places since my new drive is left in different states. Sometimes it is unchanged, sometimes it is partially restored and non functional, sometimes the partition created is much smaller. The only consistant thing is that the operation never completes and the system hangs. I need help with this.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

What brand of laptop are you using? Some laptops, like IBM ThinkPads, have a recovery partition and a special setting in the BIOS to protect it. Also, some PCs have settings in the BIOS that prevent writing to the first sector to protect against boot sector viruses.

You might try searching through your laptop's BIOS settings to see if you can find anything like this. If so, try disabling them. They may be blocking writes to areas of the disk that are needed to restore your image.

3. lonepinedm

My laptop is an HP and there are not any options in the BIOS as was suggested. The HP does have a recovery partition that is labeled as drive D.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you don't find a solution to restoring one of those backups, get an external case for a laptop drive, put the original drive in it and, with the new drive in the laptop, boot with the True Image cd and use the Clone feature to clone the original to the new.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I think he's already tried this and it failed.

Normally that's the best way to do this, but since you are having troubles whenever you try restoring or cloning to the drive when it is installed in the laptop, can you try it the other way?

Install your new drive in the external USB case and then clone the internal drive to the external. When this operation completes, shut down and install the new drive in the laptop. See if that works. Just be sure that you don't try the first boot with both drives connected.

This method will fail if your laptop BIOS uses a nonstandard geometry. My ThinkPad is that way; it uses a 240-head geometry so I always have to restore to the drive when it is installed internally. Most laptops use the standard 255-head geometry, so this method may succeed for you.

Final question - are you running any software that protects the disk like Faronics Deep Freeze, Norton GoBack, etc? Disable those first if you are.

6. lonepinedm

If I place the old drive back in the laptop it starts failing at a certain point and it would not complete a clone operation. It seems that it works fine in a external drive case but probably starts heating up in the laptop and begins to fail. I do not have any external software protecting anything like you mentioned. I can restore to factory image on the new hard disk using the recovery cd's and then install TrueImage. This indicates to me that the new drive is good. ~Off topic comments removed. This is the Acronis Support Forum only. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lonepinedm,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

The issue you have described is very odd one and we need some additional information to investigate it. So please submit a request for technical support with the attached Acronis report file, and the link to this thread. Acronis report file can be collected in the way it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please note that you should attach both old and new hard disk drive to the computer before running Acronis Report Utility. This will provide us with necessary information concerning your hard disk drives and let us do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.