True Image splits backup into many files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Neilbld, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neilbld

Neilbld Registered Member

I have been using Acronis True Image Home fo some time, making full backup and a weekly incremental backup Recently my hard disk had to be replaced and i restored the system successfully from the backup on an external hard disk. But - I decided to buy a new, larger, hard disk so I could do 4 full weekly backups. I did one such backup and mutliple files appeared on the new disk. I deleted all but one and tried again and the contents of the disk were shown as in the attached screen print. What is going on? Why so many files?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Your external disk is formatted as FAT32, which has a 4 GB maximum file size limitation. If you want your backups to be only one file each then you need to reformat the external drive as NTFS.

3. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Sounds like they're 'FAT 32 files' -that would cause it.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You can run the Windows fat32toNTFS converter utility which comes with XP to avoid reformatting and losing your current files.

Colin

5. Mysticfeat

Mysticfeat Registered Member

I'm glad I found this on the forum, as I had the same problem. Incremental backups don't seem possible when the image has been split (in my case, into 44 files of 3.99 GB each).

My only question is, is there a reason to stay in the FAT32 mode over the NTFS mode?

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Not if you only use Windows. Macs can read FAT32.

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Exactly. You would only choose FAT32 if you use the external drive with a Mac or a Linux PC that cannot understand the NTFS file system. I'm not sure if OSX can read/write NTFS or not but Linux can with the latest distributions.

NTFS is a journaling file system and is much more robust than FAT32. It is a much better choice for your external disk unless you have a reason that you cannot use it.

8. Neilbld

Neilbld Registered Member

Thanks to all who answered my question. External disk now successfully changed to NTFS and backup completed.

Neilbld

9. Mysticfeat

Mysticfeat Registered Member

Yes, much thank to all on the Fat32 vs NTSF.

I will be coming here for my answers on Acronis from now on. I had emailed them back in January. It took them over a month to email me back, asking if I had resolved my problem as they wanted to close it out.:mad: It was this very problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.