True Image "skip" restore partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by supra33202, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supra33202

supra33202 Registered Member

I just want to test out the "Recovery" function.

I have 2 physical hard drives - 1 SATA 250GB and 1 IDE 120GB with SATA to IDE connector.

Windows XP reported the IDE 120GB HD as an USB hard drive, but it's functional.

I did "Backup" the image of the Windows XP partition in the IDE 120GB HD. I tried to restore it by going through the "Recovery" steps.

True Image rebooted my system and load itself.

After going through BIOS

"Starting Acronis Loader..." then
    "Acronis Logo
    Loading, please wait..."

I saw the True Image program trying to restore my Windows XP partition, but the screen lasted for like 2 seconds. My system rebooted to the current Windows XP. No change at all. It didn't restore to my old Windows XP backup. So I think it bascially "skip" the restoring step.

Thanks!

edit: I didn't store the "Windows XP partition" backup image in Secure Zone and didn't activate "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager". Could that be a problem?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You don't have to use the Secure Zone or the Startup Recovery Manager and I think it is best to get it working without them; you can try them after if you wish.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that it is having trouble reading the image on the "SATA/IDE/USB" drive. The behaviour is similar to what I experienced trying one of TI's earlier direct to DVD versions that couldn't read the resulting DVD.

Bootup using the bootable rescue CD and see if you can do a verify on the image. This will indicate if TI can read it OK.

Edit: Should tell you that the Full recovery environment is Linux which is also used to restore an active partition even if you start the process in Windows. This is why I said to use the Rescue CD since it is the same Linux environment.

Are you using the latest build of TI 9?

3. supra33202

Yea I am using the latest build. There are several problems.

1) I was able to use the TI Bootable Rescue CD to restore my Windows XP partition. The image is stored in Secure Zone and in IDE 120GB HD, so both images are working. However, I can do that in the Safe Version only. In full version, TI doesn't recognize my SATA drive partitions. Full version supports external USB drives, so I can't use USB drives to recover my system in my current situation if I wanted to.

2) I activated "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager." I pressed F11 in the BIOS after it said press F11 to run Start Recovery Manager, my system "froze." I pressed F11 and waited for two minutes, but my system didn't run Recovery Manager or Windows XP.

3) I created images that were stored in Secure Zone, SATA 250GB HD, and IDE 120GB HD, but I couldn't restore them in Windows XP TI program. TI "skipped" the restoring step.

Bascially those are minor problems. Right now, I am still able to use the Bootable Resue CD and restore my Windows XP partition. However, I still want to solve the F11 problem, since I might have a chance to lose the Bootable Rescue CD.

4. supra33202

anyone?

5. supra33202

Another question:

I deactivated Startup Recovery Manager, but the POST screen still shows "loading the Startup Recovery Manager press F11" lines.

Is there a way to remove those lines?

Thanks!

6. supra33202

Please help!

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Sometimes it is hard to wait but in this case it is probably the best thing as the members here are spread all over the planet and they do show up here at different times of the day so give them a chance to see your thread and one of them should get back to you.

Thanks for your understanding

bigc

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello supra33202,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall the previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image prior to installing build 3677.

Note that you should create a new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If any of the problems listed above still persists with the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please do the following:

Please be aware that the most probable reason for this problem is poor support for the SATA hard drive\controller installed in your computer.

If the problem still persists with the Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter does not help then please provide us with the following information:

- Boot your computer from the Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home once more and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to a USB flash drive.

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of both your SATA hard drive and SATA controller.

If the problem still persists after installing the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and re-activating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager using Activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager tool then please provide us with the following information:

- Boot into Windows and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- Let us know when your system "freezes" exactly. Does the boot process reach the selection screen advising you to select either "Full" or "Windows" option (Acronis Startup Recovery Manager does not have a "Safe" option) after you press F11 key?

Please be aware that when the restoration of a system drive\partition is initialized within Windows your computer is rebooted into the same Linux-based Acronis Rescue Environment as provided by the "Full" version of the Bootable Rescue Media. Such scenario does not work for you because the "Full" version of the Bootable Rescue Media cannot recognize your SATA hard drive which is a destination for the backup restoration. Please provide us with the sysinfo.txt file and information requested above to proceed with the investigation of this problem.

Please fix the hard drive MBR either by booting the computer having the issue from the corresponding Windows version installation CD and issuing the 'fixmbr' command in the Recovery Console or using one of the methods described in Acronis Help Post.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.