True Image Scripting before and after backup scripts ???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CarolHaynes, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolHaynes

CarolHaynes Registered Member

How do these worko_O

The manual says they accept batch files, but all I get is a 'task finished with errors' message after the task has been finished. The error relates to the batch file I am tring to execute.

What I want to be able to do is perform a timed shutdown after the backup finishes.

I have set up a batch file with the single command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 30

The batch file works fine if I execute it manually but won't work in the "After process command" field.

In fact I don't seem to be able to get it to execute any batch file at all o_O

I have tried just using an EXE filename, but then it won't let you pass parameters.

I have tried using a shortcut, but then it just extracts the EXE filename (without parameters).

Can't say I am very impressed with the debugging for this version - has anyone actually tested this facility?

I am also getting problem with version 8 scehduled tasks in the new version. When I edit them they are renamed as "Invalid script file". Given that the upgrade imported these scheduled tasks are they supposed to be compatible with version 9?

2. CarolHaynes

Any chance of a response to this issue ?

3. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

I have not downloaded the TI9 trial as yet so is there a scripting option in TI9 as you seem to suggest? I asked Acronis sometime ago if it were possible for TI8 to start a backup automatically AFTER Privacy Suite had done a cleanup of the PC. No, was the answer at that time. It seemed to me that there is no point in backing up Internet cache and other files so having TI kickin after PS had finished would be worthwhile.
    John

4. CarolHaynes

No - when you set up a scheduled task you are supposed to be able to enter before and after tasks. The manual says you can use batch files, but it doesn't seem to matter what you put in the batch files it doesn't work and the task fails with an error.

What they suggest as a use is running your AntiVirus software before backup.

The simplest script I could think of was:

dir
    pause

ie. display the contents of the work folder and pause for a key press.

This failed with an error and the backup task stopped as a result ...

There is absolutely no documentation on how to get this to work.

My primary use for this would be to use shtdown.exe to shutdown my computer after leaving a manual backup in progress (though why this isn't an option anyway o_O). I know you can acheive this by doing a backup during shutdown but I don't want to have this automated.

5. CarolHaynes

Any chance of Acronis commenting on this issue?

Anyone else got this to work o_O :rolleyes:

6. jswilson

jswilson Registered Member

Although I could not find any documentation on their scripting, it appears that Version 9.0 stores its script files in \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\Scripts while Version 8.0 stores its script files in \Documents and Settings\[User]\Application Data\Acronis\Scripts. You should be able to include the script in a batch file and have it execute.

7. CarolHaynes

The latest build executes batch files (and you can store them where you like - just browse to them in the task wizard).

Trouble is there seems to be some issues on how these work.

Some documentation would really be useful as even Tech Support seem to disagree how they are supposed to work (and how they actually work if it comes to that).

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Carol,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

I'm glad to hear that batch files work with the latest build.

I'll forward your suggestion concerning providing more information on how to use batch files to the appropriate person and he will take care of it as soon as possible. We appreciate your collaboration on this matter.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

What concerns the "Invalid script file" error that appears when you try to edit "old" Acronis True Image 8.0 scripts.

jswilson has just explained the reason. The point is that the structure of the scheduling service has been slightly changed and script files are now reside in All Users folder instead of [User Name] folder. Thus, I would suggest everyone to delete their "old" scheduled tasks and re-create them anew using Acronis True Image 9.0.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.