True Image keep crashing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by George Anderson, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Anderson

George Anderson Registered Member

I just installed True Image 10 from a download. I have been trying to get the program to work for 2 days. I'll start from the beginning. I installed TI 10 from a download. It seemed to install ok. After install when I ran the program it came up to the main screen and a popup said "cannot find the necessary true image modules. Please reinstall". Reinstalled twice, but no help. I finally ran the install/repair and the program comes up ok. But when I go to the backup wizard and pick which drive to backup A popup says it encountered a problem and must close and TI crashes. I emailed support and they said to download a fresh copy which I did. I went through the same steps and it crashed again.
    I read on one of the posts to try booting from the safe mode and installing TI. It would not install at all. It came up with an "error 1601. Windows Installer Service could not be accessed".

I really like what I have heard about True Image 10. After 2 days of trying to install I am getting frustrated. I bought it as a download so I can't return it to the store.

Andy32901

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I think we need to try and get back to a base configuration.

So, once again uninstall TI10 and then - remove all traces of TI from registry, check that you have no temporary files in the C:\Documents and Settings\%your_log_on_name%\Local Settings\Temp.

Make sure in services.msc you have RPC server running and set to automatic. Re-install see how you go.

Just as a suggestion, disconnect from the internet (if on DSL/cable) and unload your firewall software and a/v by temporarily unticking them in msconfig - this requires a reboot to take effect, you'll get a box pop up on reboot saying you've altered the startup files and would you like to change them, just ignore.

Whilst this isn't how TI is normally installed, this gives you the greatest chance of getting it up and running without too much trouble shooting.

In reality I'd think something got corrupted during the first install and the corruption isn't removed during a normal re-install. In other words something ain't (sic) quite right in registry or DLL land.

Colin

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi George

Did Acronis give you an MD5 hash of the installable, if so did you verify that this is what you had after download?

What OS are you using, what Mobo and what disk drives ?

F.

4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Andy,
    My suggestion are:
    1. If still installed, start V10 and goto Tools menu and create the user Bootable Rescue CD. Tick the top option which should cause both the safe and full versions to be ticked and installed.
    Boot from this new CD using the full version option. Are all your drives (internal & external) visible and can you perform image backups?

2.Prior to the v10 install: recently, was any previous versions of TrueImage, GoBack, Ghost or similar backup software installed--even trial versions?

3. If answer to 2 is no regarding previous programs, check your XP system restore checkpoints and see if you have a checkpoint available which is dated prior to the first V10 install? If yes, then restore that checkpoint

4. Use your XP chkdsk.exe and check all drives for errors.

5. Then perform the steps suggested by Bodgy.
    Ccleaner does a good job of removing temp files, etc. http://www.Ccleaner.com
    Remove the temp files; disconnect from internet; run MSconfig/startup and untick the anti-virus programs.

6. Re-install V10 after completion of preceding steps.

7. Reset your msconfig to normal startup.

8. Reboot and start v10 again.

5. George Anderson

Thanks every one for your help.

bodgy,
    I did every thing that you advised, step by step, but I still get the "cannot find modules, please reinstall"

foghorne,
    support only pointed me to the update page and told me to download the latest build- 4871. I don't know what a MD5 hash is or what to do with it.
    I am using XP Pro on a HP Athon 64 X2 3800. I have 2 internal disk drives 250 Gb, 160 GB and an external 500 GB drive I just bought for backups.

GroverH,
    Hello again. I booted with the Rescue CD. TI came up , I could see all the drives and i tried to do a backup. But when I selcted the disk to backup to and clicked proceed, it just hung and did nothing.
    As far as previous backup software, Yes I am using Norton Save and
    restore. I am still using it, it is still active. I wanted to keep some way of restoring until TI is working. Do you think this is the culprit?

andy32901

6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

MD5 hash is a utility that will calculate and compare the checksum of the TI image file. Acronis have published what the 'hash' number should be, it might be in their FAQ's part of the forum, but a search on the forum will bring up the correct #.

I still get the feeling that, either some DLL's or services that TI needs are either corrupted/non existent, or that there are some services that ought to be running that aren't, either because they are stopped or set to manual.

There is one other possibility, and that is that a background program is causing this problem. HP have a number of utilities that start up and run in the background.

There is nothing to lose by disabling many of these and then see if TI behaves. If so, then bring them back online one at a time until everything goes pearshaped and bingo, we at least know which program is causing the problem.

In services, you should have the following modules running and on automatic.

Scheduler2 - this uses RPC, which you've mentioned is running ond on auto start. Make sure it is the RPC entry you've checked, and not the RPC LOCATOR.

COM + Event System is running - can be set as manual start.

In msconfig STARTUP

schedulhlp,
    TrueImageMonitor
    TimeOuterMonitor

Should be ticked.

Did you install TI as an all user or single user?

Colin

7. GroverH

Andy,
    I'm guessing but my guess is that the Norton Save & Restore program has some markings on the Master book record. Hopefully, some of the hardware experts on the forum might make some comments--or some others that might be using both TI and Norton S&R. The fact that the backup will not begin when using the TI Recovery CD removes any program conflict (via cd) but not a hardware conflict.

I would still recommend that you run Chkdsk.exe--preferably from the XP Recovery Console.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2006
  8. George Anderson

bodgy,
    I have checked RPC is on auto, COM + event is on manual. In msconfig, startup=
    schedulehip,
    TrueImageMonitor,
    TimeoutMonitor ,
    are not there. I could not find them. I installed as all user.

GroverH,
    I will try something. I have a Norton restore point I created saturday. On Sunday I tried installing True Image. I will restore back to then and try installing again. I will let you know how it turns out.

andy32901

9. George Anderson

That norton S & R restore point was no good. Will the windows restore point be any help? Will it be any help on bad dll's or registry problems.

andy32901

10. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well something has prevented TI from installing those three parts of the program. without TrueImageMonitor running - you won't be able to use TI.

In registry you should have - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run the following entry

Code:
    ab  TrueImageMonitor.exe    REG_SZ     %your drive letter%\acronis\TrueImageMonitor.exe
    First go to your TI installed directory and click on the TIM.exe to start it and see if you can then actually use TI. If so then you can add the above info to your registry. I'll make you a registry file if the above works, that'll save you manually adding the key.

Colin

11. George Anderson

bodgy, I checked the registry entry for TrueImageMonitor.exe. It is not there in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run . I searched and I found one in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls.
    I went to the TI directory and tried to run the TIM.exe but when I clicked on it nothing happened. I tried to run TI but it still crashes.

andy32901

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK save and rename the attached file from ti insert.txt to ti insert.reg.

Double click on it and it will enter itself into registry.

Reboot the computer and see what happens.

Colin

Wow sorry I've just noticed an error in the file! First leave the file as a TXT type. Open it and change the 'F's to your drive letter probably 'C'. Then save it as any name .reg file and then click on it to enter it into registry. As you might have guessed, I have TI on F drive not C.

Attached Files:

13. George Anderson

I have done as you said. Changed it to C drive. It said it was entered into registry but I cant find it in Run area. And TI still crashes when I try to do a backup.

One thing I have found out, before I did registry edit, I tried to do a backup with my Norton save & Restore which had been working, now it crashes my computer aftrer it starts to backup. So something has changed drastically.

Can I use Windows system restore to restore everything? Will it also restore registry and Dll's? I am getting desperate.

Later:

I did the system restore to just before the first TI install. Now Norton is working again. I will do a backup first and then try to reinstall TI.

Will let you know how it goes.

Andy32901

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  14. George Anderson

I did the backup with Norton and reinstalled TI but it still comes up with the error 'cannot find modules'. If I do a install/repair then it will let me in to selecting which drive to backup before it crashes, same as before.

I have done a Chkdsk, a defrag, Windows system restore. I am very frustrated.

Support wanted a drwtsn 'log file' and 'crash dump'. Maybe they can come up with something.

Andy32901

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  15. GroverH

To find out more info about what programs are running and where in the registry they are started, you can download Doug Knox's StartupTracker3
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/StartupTracker3.zip

This program will display a window also a log file also copy info to clipboard.
    ..Shows all startup programs and where in the registry item located.
    ..Also shows all running processes and all running services.

I would also be curious as to what services Norton S&R is starting and whether manual or automatic.

As I see it, you have two problems. The bootable CD will not begin the actual backup and the install appears to be incomplete. They may be the related--maybe not.
    1. Using the bootable CD, You said:
    • ... "I booted with the Rescue CD. TI came up , I could see all the drives and i tried to do a backup. But when I selected the disk to backup to and clicked proceed, it just hung and did nothing."
    To me, this indicates a problem reading the drive, etc. What type drives (SATA or IDE) do you have?

2. The install onto the desktop appears to be missing some files. One of the things you said was:
    • ..."installed TI 10 from a download. It seemed to install ok. After install when I ran the program it came up to the main screen and a popup said "cannot find the necessary true image modules. Please reinstall". Reinstalled twice, but no help. I finally ran the install/repair and the program comes up ok. But when I go to the backup wizard and pick which drive to backup A popup says it encountered a problem and must close and TI crashes. I emailed support and they said to download a fresh copy which I did. I went through the same steps and it crashed again.

later followup:
      ..."I did the backup with Norton and reinstalled TI but it still comes up with the error 'cannot find modules'. If I do a install/repair then it will let me in to selecting which drive to backup before it crashes, same as before.""
    Is it possible this is a security issue? Are you installing as Administrator? What anti-virus programs or firewalls are you using?--although it may not be related.

Have you looked at the errors listed in Event Viewer under Administrative tools
    You can access from the Run eventvwr.msc /s
    or create a shortcut on your desktop for easy use.
    %SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Additionally, Within MSConfig, there is an option to reboot using a selective startup without any startup programs at all. This would provide less chance of a program conflict--but the possibility of a service conflict still exists--unless you stop any Norton S&R services.

I have created an extra hardware profile from which I can access during bootup. This profiles is where I have stopped as many un-necessary services as possible--especially all my anti-..... programs, etc. Sometimes I use this profile to install programs which might conflict with others.

I find the XP system restore worthless. I use the one below although with current backups, there is lessor need for the xp system restore process.

http://206.128.27.142/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/9/t/000145.html

16. George Anderson

GroverH,

I am installing as HP_Administrator, as I always have.

I went into msconfig and disabled Diskeeper and all Norton services I could find. I shutdown Kaspersky Anti-virus and Zone Alarm Firewall.

I installed TI and i got the same error "cannot find the necessary modules..."

The event viewer shows a couple of items during yesterdays installs.

example:

"Product: Acronis*True*Image*Home -- Installation completed successfully."

"Faulting application trueimage.exe, version 10.0.0.4871, faulting module trueimage.exe, version 10.0.0.4871, fault address 0x0031173f."

I know what installation successful is but the other doesnt mean anything to me. there were others but have no idea what they mean. I can copy them if it would help.

To try something I installed TI on my wife's computer and I get the same error "cannot find the necessary modules..." on opening TI. I have downloaded the latest build 4871 from the support page twice already. If it does the same on 2 computers doesn't it point towards the software? What do I do next.
    What I have as a download is TrueImage10.0_s_en.exe, version 10.0.0.4871, 101 MB. Does that sound right?How do I get a good copy of the program?

In frustration,

andy32901

Last edited: Nov 29, 2006
  17. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well, it looks as though it is now a case of either a corrupted download of TI, some background software preventing correct installation of TI, or a damaged version of the installer on XP.

The last two seem unlikely, unless some new updates from MS have been downloaded recently - these have been known to breeak working systems occassionally.

I think the first thing is to download an MD5 checksum checker. Acronis have the hash number lurking on this forum somewhere.

Once we know that you have a valid install file, then the thinking (or should that be thunking) caps can go on.

It might be worth downloading the other snapapi file that Acronis have, and install that as they suggest here

Colin

18. George Anderson

A new twist.

I downloaded TI again on my wifes computer, reinstalled after removing it. I got the error "cannot find the necessary modules..." when I started TI. This time a ran the install/repair. Now it is working. I did a backup, restored a file. I have not done anything else, I don't know how to use the program that well.

Now to get it working on my computer. I love the interface, its so easy to use.

andy32901

19. como

como Registered Member

20. George Anderson

I have a snapshot of the error when it occurs. Its just after I try to pick the backup archive location. It seems it is when TI is searching the drives. Im looking to give all the info I can to get this running. I have attached a snapshot of the trouble.

My wife likes the program so I may have to buy another if I can get this working on my computer.

andy32901

Attached Files:

21. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

for garyyoung,

Your post has been moved out of this individuals support assistance thread into a thread of it's own.

Follow here---> Would like a refund or a quick fix

Bubba

22. 0136988

0136988 Registered Member

I am having the same problem.
    Could it be related to Internet Explorer v7? I fixed earlier today, a glitch I had with my HP scanner's hp director software which was no longer able to start after installation of IE7.

23. 0136988

0136988 Registered Member

I've found a workaround though!

Instead of selecting back up of your drive I select backup of emails, I do not know why, but in my case I can select file name and location normally in the following sreen, I click next after entering the file name and then I click the back button until the screen where I can select backup of the drive and everything works fine

That is why I suspect installation of IE7. Is it the same for you Mr Anderson?
    JMT

24. George Anderson

JMT,

your workaround did work. I was able to do a backup of my C drive. Selecting a backup of email, then going back worked. The only problem is that is all I can do because using any other wizard goes to a drive select screen and gets the error message and crashes.

Why do you think it is related to IE7. I am using IE7 but I am sure other people are using it also without TI problems.

Andy32901

25. GroverH

I can where that might have a bearing on his desktop install but he still has the problem of his Acronis Recovery CD seeing his drives but backup will not begiin when he clicks proceed. The Recovery CD is not affected by Windows software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.