True Image Home v10 can't back up open files?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BillyB, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyB

BillyB Registered Member

I was led to believe through product documentation on the Acronis web site, Amazon.com, and other places that True Image can back up open files without a problem. However I am getting error msgs that my Outlook .PST file is in use.

Worse, the program displays a dialog box for a scheduled job that is running unattended in the middle of the night, and then just pauses, waiting input, instead of ending. This prevents a 2nd scheduled job from running.

Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. BillyB

BillyB Registered Member

I've noticed some threads regarding problems with Outlook. Does anyone know whether this "open file" problem is specific to Outlook and therefore part of those issues?

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I believe it's an Outlook issue and not specifically an ATI issue. Outlook is misbehaving in certain ways with all programs that approach it in perfectly kosher ways.

There's a reason folks call Outlook "Look Out!"

4. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

This should not happen, and certainly has never happened to me with V9. The only case I know of where locked files don't get backed up is if you are trying to get them over a network, i.e. from a mapped drive.

5. BillyB

BillyB Registered Member

Funny you should say that. In fact the Outlook files ARE mapped network drives. I have 2 computers, one is regular use, the other is for multimedia only. I make the backups on the multimedia box, including local multimedia files and My Documents directory on the regular box over the net.

Is there nothing I can do, then? I know that other consumer backup products DO backup busy Outlook files over the net, so I know that it's possible.

6. Unit01

Unit01 Registered Member

Yes, other applications can backup files over the network, though you'll find that the data consistency of those backups will be inferior to that of Acronis in many regards.

Your getting lock file issues because Acronis isn't operating on the machine or file system in which the actual files are being hosted on. While they're being accessed from the machine they're just being read at the file level, which is all well fine true and dandy. There's no problem with this at all, and chances are your other applications that backup network files are doing exactly the same thing, file level.

Grab another copy of Acronis, and use it to backup files at the source, MUCH better then trying to do it over the network from a client machine in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.