True Image Home v10.0 causes shutdown and start-up problems.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Socrates470BC, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socrates470BC

Socrates470BC Registered Member

I have recently purchased Acronis True Image Home version 10.0 (build 4,871). After performing a full image backup I have the following problems:

When the Backup operation has completed, and I try to shutdown my PC several programs have to be shutdown manually.

When trying to start up my PC in the morning (when a True Image Backup was the last thing I did before shutting down) my PC failed to boot properly. I have to bring my PC up in SAFE mode first and then shutdown. After this process, I was able to boot my PC normally.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so, what did you do to remedy the situation?

Honestly, if Acronis backup software destabilises my PC and leaves me feeling very much less secure, then this is a Major problem.

My system is a Dell XPS running Windows XP Pro SP2. I also use Windows defender, Trend PC-Cillan 14, IIS, and have windows SQL server 2000 & 2005 running on my PC.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Although I have no direct experience of this problem I suggest that you disable your Windows SQL servers before making the next image. IIS is another possible candidate for exclusion.

I do not think that your computer was supplied with Go Back because that can definitely cross swords with TI.

Xpilot

3. Socrates470BC

You may very well be correct about stoping both IIS and SQL Server, however, Acronis gives no guidance about it being necessary to stop background services before starting a backup.

If it is necesary to stop background services, then I would expect Acronis to either stop or suspend these services automatically.

After experiencing the failure of my PC to re-boot this morning, I am very wary about running the Acronis on my computer ever again.

How do you feel when you are trying to boot your computer and nothing appears to be happening? You are completely helpless! You suspect that the Acronis software has screwed up your system. Do you really want to run that Acronis software again?

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I always do my backups while booted in Windows. I have never had to stop any services that are running.By now I have done many hundreds if not yet a thousand backups with no failures.

However Go Back and I believe SQL do not play well with TI. Now this has been pointed out you have several options. You could do all you backups when booted from the recovery CD. In this case there would be no background services running. This is not a solution that I would favour since I like the scheduling of automatic backups and the speed of running them within Windows.
    You could find out which services are causing your problems by following my advice or you could raise a supportticket with Acronis tech help.

I did point out in my reply that I have had no direct experience of this problem though it is likely that there is a conflict with one or more background service.
    I suggest that you follow this though as it is not the only possibility but problem solving is usually done by a process of elimination.

I have never been in the position of not being able to boot my computer since I started to use TI. The way I use it ensures that whatever might cause a harddrive failure I can be up and running again with everthing working in less than three minutes.

Xpilot

5. Socrates470BC

Xpilot, I really do appreciate your replies. Your experience with the product does give me a good level of assurance, and I will indeed try to find what the possible conflicts are.

I have already created tasks to perform my backups, but start them manually. I like to perform the backup last thing at night when I am done for the day. I then like to shutdown my computer.

One feature which Acronis permits is the ability to run a task before backup and run another task after backup.

Ideally, I should be able to automatically stop problem services before the backup and then start the shutdown automatically after the backup. Of course, I am new to the Acronis product and a little out of practice scripting such tasks. If anyone has some examples of how this could be accomplished, then that would be most appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.