True Image Home 2009 corrupting VMWare VMs

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cowboy1964, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964 Registered Member

True Image Home 2009 corrupting VMWare VMs (truncating files over 4GB)

I've tried to restore several VMs from backups and they all are corrupted (VMware Workstation cannot boot them). The VMs were NOT running at the time the backups were made and the backups were verified.

(EDIT: By "restore" I mean copying the file(s) using the True Image built-in file explorer you get when you double-click a .tib file)

Is this a known problem? When I have time I'll do some testing to do a file compare to see what is being mangled but this worries me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  2. mujjuman

mujjuman Registered Member

thats a pretty bad thing... i regularly use VMWare
    awaiting more responses.
    i also (partially) read another thread where Office 2003 and 2007 gets corrupted

3. cowboy1964

I see what the problem is. Several of the .vmdk files are 5 or 6 GBs in size but when True Image restores them they are truncated at 4,194,304 KB (exactly 4GB, the infamous FAT32 file size limit). I am using NTFS file system obviously, to have files that large to begin with. The files appear to be the correct size in the image, it's just when they are restored that they are truncated (and again, I am definitely restoring them to NTFS).

Why is True Image truncating files over that size? I can't say for certain but I don't think I had this issue with True Image 6 or 8.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  4. mujjuman

That's really weird.... I cant believe it would do something like this....
    Did you try restorng the .vmdk files individually?

5. cowboy1964

Yes, I picked one file that was about 6GB. After restore it was truncated at 4GB. Luckily I have another backup so I haven't lost anything but I'm glad I discovered this issue now before I DO lose anything.

This backup file was created using the "files and folders" method instead of the "image" method. I'm going to make an image backup and see if the same problem occurs with that.

6. mujjuman

Oh ok.. I made an image backup as well and my VMWare files are included. I'm about to restore them soon (when I get the chance. I will let you know of my results as well)

7. cowboy1964

More info:

It does not matter if you make an image backup or a files-and-folders backup. The files are only truncated when you restore them using the TI built-in file explorer (i.e. the one that is launched when you double click a .tib file). Files ARE NOT truncated if you mount the .tib to a drive letter and copy the files using Windows Explorer.

I have not tried restoring a full image backup yet but I expect that to be ok.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  8. mujjuman

Oh really? Good observation!

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.