True Image Home 11.0.8027 and Intel Raid

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by linknet, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linknet

linknet Registered Member

True Image Home 11.0.8027 and Intel ICH9R Raid.

Has anyone tried this latest version by booting from the recovery disk to determine whether it supports the Intel ICH9R Raid Array yet ?

I understand that earlier versions apparently didn't.

linknet

2. FreemanW

FreemanW Registered Member

I posted a new thread regarding ATI Home v10 prior to spotting your thread.

Does ATI 11 (any build version) work (in Windows or from boot disc) with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

3. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

I'm afraid it does not work. At least a Dell Vostro 200 did not even boot the rescue CD. In TI v11 there are even problems recognizing the good old ich7.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

In windows, yes but not from the boot disk or when doing a restore, both of which rely on the linux OS instead of windows and windows drivers.

It appears that Acronis has not yet gotten this Intel chipset (and possibly jmicron) RAID thing buttoned down yet in ATI 11, although from the iso files they have sent me, they are getting closer. So I expect this to be fixed in the next build. RAIDS running off of nvidia chipsets don't appear to be a problem from the reports I've seen.

The most recent iso they sent me, a version of 11.8045, could see the Intel RAID for backup and for selecting an image file to restore but couldn't see the RAID as a possible target for restore even though the image file to be restored was not on the RAID array. So, not there yet, but they might be passing out cigars soon (hopefully).

5. VijghenPh

VijghenPh Registered Member

Some good news: after a month and three uncessful trials, I just got from support the ISO image of the last build (version 11.0.804:cool: ...and my RAID array (Dell Dimension 9150) partitions are now visible from the boot CD (also in the recovery mode).

Still, I didn't try to actually restore partition or files from boot CD as I need time and don't want to take any uncalculated risk with that critical system.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  6. climbs

climbs Registered Member

V - I also need that build. How did they deliver it to you? I don't see that build as a download option yet. Do you have a link?

7. shieber

That build [8048] couldn't see the Intel RAID at all on my now slightly antiquated machine (Intel 925X / Intel ICH6R Express Chipset), although a prior build [8045] could see the RAID for backup but not as a possible target for a restore. Did you try setting up for a restore, going as far as picking the target drive to see if it sees your RAID in that situation? -- don't have to actually do the restore.

I have a version of 11 that uses ATI 10 drivers. We'll see tonight how that one works. These are all test versions from Tech Support, looking for the right fix.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are currently working hard with our Development Team on the similar issues connected to some hardware RAID chipsets support in Acronis True Image 11 Home Bootable Rescue Media (Full version). In case one has any hard drives' detection issues while booting from rescue media of the latest version please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo26.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then please submit a request for technical support via this form. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the description of the problem and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and definitely will provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

9. center19

center19 Registered Member

I had the same issue...

Intel D875PBZ board with SATA RAID.

I was able to back up to a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB external drive and validate the archive, but that's where the functionality ends.

Since then, I haven't been able to fully restore (wouldn't see ANY drives, then with the latest build would see the external drive ONLY), selectively restore (the boot CD and Windows report the image is not a valid archive), and now can't even browse the .tib (asks for a password that was never entered).

I had to PAY for support for a product I just purchased, and promise after promise for a response from tech support (yes, I'm talking about you, Yuri and you, Konstantin) have yet to follow through.

I had a RAID 0 with S.M.A.R.T. reporting a bad drive. I could boot into safe mode but not normally. Time to clone the defective drive and replace it. Sounds simple? It's been nothing but a nightmare! If there is anyone here in the forums that can lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the money ($3k and up) to send the drive for data recovery, but I feel like there are no other options.

10. shieber

The most recent version is as build 8040. It doesn't use the Acronis loader but one by Isolinux, so it boots directly to the backup-recovery screen. This bild, which reportedly use ATI 10 drivers, can see my RAID and I even did a restore of an ATI 10 backup to the RAID successfully. There was a problem with not being able to enter the usbmouse=off parameter, which the Acronis loader for ATI 11 didn't need for my logitech wireless mouse but ATI 10 and this linux disk do. This mouse prob kept me from being able to do test a backup and then ensure I could restore an ATI11 backup.

Build 8040 doesn't sound like a fix that would come out in a new build for general release.

The stew, if not the plot, thickens. . .

11. shieber

Got the steps for entering usbmouse=off with the build 11.8040 iso Tech Support sent and so was able to accomplish a backup of my RAID with this version.

The mouse was very eratic and was barely on a couple of screens but worked better on others. And the graphic images were very poor.

This build would at least enable me to do a backup and or restore from/to my RAID with version 11. It's a bit of duct tape; show's Acronis will try to help each person get up an running but a presentable, and reasonably debugged version 11 is yet somewhere in the future.

12. center19

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. I, however, am still in the thick of it. It took forever to find a member of the support team fluent enough in english and patient enough to walk me through the Linux commands on the bootable media. The ISO they sent did not have the "Full" or "Safe" modes to choose from, therefore striking the F11 key served no purpose. After being given the Ctrl+Alt+F2 method, I was still unfamiliar with Linux and entered the commands they sent verbatime (including the # symbol) to no avail. Half a day later, I sent the support team a sysinfo file.

As I arrive at work this morning, the build team needs the Windows system information file. :blink:

Now tell me, how is it possible to get a Windows system information file on a machine that currently will not boot into Windows due to a bad disk in RAID array? :ouch:

If you can answer that question and allow me to access my data, I'll bear your firstborn child... (well, not really, but I'll be ever so grateful as it will get my boss and a customer off of my priority task list)

At this point all I want to do is read through the .tib archive to recover a few key files. I am not overly concerned with a complete restoration seeing as how it was set up as a RAID 0 to begin with instead of a RAID 1.

13. shieber

I wouldn't call the issue resolved; I'd say a large wad of duct tape has been provided until version 11 is fixed.

The iso you you have came from Tech and doesn't give you the F11 screen -- sounds like you have a build that uses an Isolinux loader and not the ATI loader, so you don't get the Full/Safe mode screen -- instead, when the Kernal.dat file starts loading, press escape to get a prompt then type in

kernel.dat initrd=ramdisk.dat ramdisk_size=60000

along with whatever other parameters you need.

You don't get safe mode with this situation.

14. center19

What other parameters would I need? Unfortunately I'm not at all familiar with Linux.

15. shieber

I don't know which ones you want. I thought you were trying to F11 so you could enter some. The ATI 11 manual has a list of diff ones and what they (might) do for you.

16. vango44

vango44 Registered Member

EDIT: I started a new thread for my question below...

I have the same issue as others where the TI Boot disk(full version) can't see my Intel Matrix Raid drives properly. It sees the mirrored drives twice and the striped drive as unallocated.
    Tech support sent me an ISO with 8050 build to see if it would work with my ICHR8 motherboard. It appears to load properly but leaves me at a command line interface. Tried it on 2 different boxes same result.

Is there a command I need to input to get some kind of GUI? I'm sending the same question to support but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

Thanks.

17. FlappyRay

FlappyRay Registered Member

I have the same problem as others. I have a Dell with Intel RAID controller ICH9R and SATA drives. Build 8,027 of True Image 11 does not recognize my SATA drives. Please help.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

FlappyRay could you please follow the instructions from this post , submit the request to our Support Team and ask for special iso image.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

19. shieber

If it puts you at a blank line, hit return once and you should get a # command prompt.

At the # command prompt type /bin/product and press enter. That should load ATI.

sh

20. musa80

musa80 Registered Member

Hi. I have also a motherboard with intel ich9r raid controller. I am using Acronis TI 10. Acronis boot cd did not worked for me either. That is, acronis did not identify my hard disk (raid 0). But, using BartPE I was able to make acronis to identify my hard disk. The procedure is very simple. You can see the details below. (I think this procedure will also solve your problems with acronis 11 too.)

1. Install the latest PE Builder (http://www.nu2.nu/download.php?sFile=pebuilder3110a.exe)
    2. Intall the ATI (Complete installation is required)
    3. In the ATI installation folder, find the BartPE plugin
    4. Copy and Paste the plugin in the plugin folder of PE builder directory
    5. Open PE Builder
    6. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive
    7. Select the windows CD in the source section
    8. Press F4 to go the plugins section
    9. Enable the Acronis BartPE plugin
    10. Press F7 to create BartPE files
    11. Press F5 to create iso image of your BartPE cd
    12. Write iso to cd
    13. Boot your computer with that cd
    14. When you see "Starting BartPE" text Press F6 to install your RAID driver
    15. Insert the floppy disc that has your raid drivers in it and install ich9r driver
    16. When the BartPE Windows starts, follow GO->System->Storage->Acronis True Image

Now acronis should identify your hard disk...

21. shieber

Even better, imo, skip Bart and build a ViastaPE disk. Works on xp and Vista machines. Search for Mustangs free guide for the esy steps to building a VistaPE disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.