True Image- Full backup creates multiple files!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mark62, Aug 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark62

Mark62 Registered Member

Not sure if I should be worried by this- downloaded latest version of TrueImage, did a full backup- to a WD Mybook external drive- and the backup is spread over 13 files- most 3.99 GB in size. My external drive is FAT32- so I thought file size would not be an issue(NB- connected by firewire 400).

A related issue- have also set up a weekly incremental backup- but the wizard says that these all have to be stored in the same file- what happens when this exceeds 3.99GB?

Perhaps I should just do a weekly full backup- overwriting the previous one- but for some reason the wizard warns users against doing this...

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"My external drive is FAT32- so I thought file size would not be an issue"
    That is the issue. FAT is limited to a file size of ~ 4GB.

"but the wizard says that these all have to be stored in the same file"
    This does not make sense to me. What, exactly, is the message?

3. cliffg

cliffg Registered Member

I too have a WD My Book external drive and had the same problem.
    You need to reformat the drive to NTFS. Make sure you back up any files on the WD first or will lose them! Copy them back after the reformat.

Cliffg.

4. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

"You need to reformat the drive to NTFS. Make sure you back up any files on the WD first or will lose them!"
    You may want to check into this a little further. I believe you can switch from FAT to NTFS without losing data.

OK - I know you can, because I have done it.

5. Mark62

Mark62 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice- I'll have to figure out how to reformat my external drive!

The message that comes up re incremental backups is-
    "Backs up only changes that occurred since the last backup. When starting for the first time, the incremental backup requires a full backup archive. All subsequent archives are based on the most recent incremental backup. An incremental archive file requires less storage space, but for restoration from the archive, you will be prompted to provide the base full archive and all subsequent backups. All archive files must be in the same folder."

It's the last part that worries me- how do I get them in the same folder? My full backup is already spread over 13 files.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mark,

Same "folder" (as in directory folder) or same "partition", not the same "file".

Regards

7. charliet

charliet Registered Member

From "TheWeaz" August 22nd, 2006 08:13 PM

"You need to reformat the drive to NTFS. Make sure you back up any files on the WD first or will lose them!"

I installed TI 9.0 yesterday (CD version from NewEgg) and created a disk image on an external drive (Seagate 120G). I also have multiple files of approx 4G ea.

I checked the Seagate using "properties" and it indicates "File system: FAT32". Is this my problem? If so, how do I proceed? I am a novice!!!!

8. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Burn your files to DVD. Format the external drive to NTFS then recreate your backup.

9. como

como Registered Member

See This Microsoft article on how to convert Fat to NTFS. Note the suggestion to back up any data first

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

11. charliet

Greatly appreciate the responses. It's good to know that "help is out there"!!!

I am now a somewhat confused novice! The Seagate External is new (just installed to use with TI). The only files that have been "placed" on the Seagate were created by TI. Would there be any Seagate files? Seems like I remember files on the Seagate before running TI.

My C: drive is NTFS (properties = "File system: NTFS"). Do I just reformat the Seagate (selecting NTFS option), which would "clear out" the TI files and then run disk image again? I am assuming the Seagate files (if any) would also be "lost". I need to be careful. Can not afford to make any critical mistakes.

Thanks Again

12. cliffg

cliffg Registered Member

If you have Windows XP you can format any drive or volume, incl. an external drive (other than the current System or Boot volume) to NTFS using the Disk Management facility in windows.

First, go into Windows Explorer, select My Computer, then select the external drive and see what folders/files are on it (eg: Seagate files etc). These need to be backed up if you want to keep them.
    Create a directory, say savefiles, and copy (or drag & drop) the files from the external drive into 'savefiles' (if you have sufficient space on your hard drive).

Click Start>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.
    Right-click on the 'external drive' icon and choose 'Format' from the shortcut menu. A dialog box appears that offers you choices....choose NTFS and click the box to 'perform a quick format'.
    Click OK. If you get a warning about losing files, just accept this as you have backed up the files.

When drive has been formatted you can copy any saved files back OR if all your Acronis backup files are limited to 4GB you may wish to create another image. This time you should end up with a single file.

Cliffg.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  13. charliet

Thanks to all!! I am now an experienced novice!!

I read/followed your suggestions (even read the suggested articles). Reformated the external to NTFS, created a new disk image, checked the new image file (OK) on the external drive.

Only one minor "thing". The files (504kb total) that I thought were Seagate files cannot be copied back to the Seagate external drive. Get an "access denied" error.

Since I have the disk image that I needed, do I need to be concerned about the "Seagate files" (change.log.1 & RestorePointSize) that cannot be restored? These were the files on the Seagate drive before reformating.

Again, greatly appreciate your help. Now I hope I can restore my system, if needed. I have a used Dell GX240 (a lease return) that did not have any CD's included (an OEM system).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.