True Image freezes on first backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by notumbo, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notumbo

notumbo Registered Member

I have read other posts related to this issue, after encountering the problem during my first attempted backup with TI9. I then registered, downloaded the most recent update build, 9.0.3633, installed, re-booted, restarted TI9, and VOILA! same damn problem. It gets to the screen where you are asked to choose the archive location, you select the location, click Next, and - - - - - - - - - - - - - nothing. Do CAD, select Applications - shows Application Not responding. The damn thing just sits there and doesn't even blink.

Now, I bought this thing in a CompUSA after having read some good things about it. Now, I am ready to return it and demand a full refund - its a piece of drek!

Please don't take me through all the "send us your screen shots" crap, because it is the same as what everyone else has already sent - no difference at all.

I want to do a full backup to a new external HD. I am only trying to backup about 22.5 Gbs onto a 250 Gb drive. What gives, folks? Either it works as advertized, or it does not, which is clearly the case with what I just purchased.

If you have a real fix, not a list of all the changes I need to make to my system for YOUR product to work on it, please tell me what it is. Otherwise, I demand a full refund, and will remove this vaporware forthwith.

I run W2000, fully updated, all the bells and whistles.

notumbo:thumbd:

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Why not boot from the user created boot cd and perfom your backup from there. This will also serve to confirm that the external drive is visible and accessible--which is absolutely necessary should you need to do an image restore.

3. notumbo

notumbo Registered Member

Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned consumer, but I tend to want a product I purchase to work the way it is advertised to work. The backup function should work, though it clearly does not. I truly feel it is absurd to be forced to use some kind of work-around cludge to make use of a product instead of simply returning it for a refund if it fails to live up to its own hype.

I am still awaiting a response from the company on this issue. If I haven't recieved a communication, along with a fix, as opposed to a work-around, or some ridiculous requirement to make massive changes to my system, I will indeed be uninstalling it and returning it for a refund. If the company can't sell a product that works, they really don't deserve my money.:thumbd:

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

On my understanding of your symptoms it seems that there is an incompatibility with your (USB?) external drive.

Could you try rerunning with the external drive removed and see if the symptoms change. Also, do you have any other USB devices plugged in - e.g flash cards or card readers. If so could you retry with these removed and the external drive connected.

Just by way of collecting extra information, as GroverH suggests, it would be interesting to see if the rescue disk has the same problem.

F

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello notumbo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

If that does not help then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

This information would let us investigate the problem under consideration thoroughly and provide you with a possible workaround.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

6. dsrs

dsrs Registered Member

so many people have this same problem. it is really annoying to find the same routine response from acronis. i share the frustration of others at having to go to such lengths to fix something which is not my problem in the first place.

weirdly, i find i CAN make the image but only if i choose the DESKTOP of all places as the location to put the tib file. how strange. i can then copy the tib file to usb drive.

but acronis will not verify the file. yet when i take that usb drive to another computer with acronis on it, the file is verified as good.

would really be helpful if acronis comes up with some help

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hi dsrs,

From the symptoms you describe it would appear that the Acronis USB drivers are not playing well with your particular Computer/external drive combination.
    To get this sorted you will need to go through the diagnostic and other steps that they suggest.
    In the meantime you could try creating your backup images while booted in Windows. This will use the Windows drivers and you should have no problem with creation, validation or mounting and exploring the image.
    Even if you start a restoration from within Windows you will have to reboot into the recovery environment which will use the Acronis/ Linux drivers which may still be a problem in read mode. The answer would be to create a Bart PE CD with TI plugin. Done this way the normal Windows drivers will be available.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsrs,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that the issue may be the same but it can be cased by different reasons. That is why we need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround.

Could you please describe the issue in more details? Did you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media or did you use Acronis True Image in Windows to create the image? Could you please let us know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number)?

Please explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue. Did you try to backup entire hard drive/partition(s) or separate files/folders? Did you receive any error messages?

If you have experienced this issue when running Acronis True Image in Windows please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis True Image Bootable CD using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and try to create the image when your computer is booted from this CD. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue exists when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also send us the log file from Acronis True Image 9.0 Home that contains the error message, if any. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.