True Image Echo Workstation on Windows 2003 - Backup/Recovery WORKS but strange error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by evotsi, Jan 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evotsi

evotsi Registered Member

I am evaluating Acronis True Image Echo Workstation for a single server running Windows 2003 and have a couple of questions. I did a full backup/restore and because the server is hosted remotely I used the snap restore since it is automatic. After rebooting the server came online after about 30 minutes and proceeded to restore a 150GB harddrive for roughly 5 hours. (The secure zone location was an extra harddrive with nothing else on it) During this time I could login via RDP and an icon was in the system tray showing that the recovery was in progress. After about 5 hours the icon showed a warning and when clicking "About" an error came up stating that the string was undefined. I restarted and the server seemed to come back OK. Should I be worried about the error? Did the backup restore completely and is there anyway to verify this? The workstation edition seemed fine for my purposes, what advantages does the server edition provide? And lastly assuming I am connected remotely via RDP is it possible to reboot and restore offline without a bootdisk. i.e. not using snap restore?
    Thank you in advance.

Paul

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

One thing the server version can do that the workstation can't is to understand how to deal with database transaction files that are running.

If you have no need of group server (and on one server you probably don't) or backup server - then you may be able to get away with it.

Colin

3. evotsi

evotsi Registered Member

Re: True Image Echo Workstation on Windows 2003 - Backup/Recovery WORKS but strange e

Thanks for the response. The Workstation version has an option to enable Microsoft VSS and our Oracle database has this feature as well to provide consistent snapshots of the database. Would the server version provide anything else? Also any insight into what the error might be? Thanks.

Paul

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Re: True Image Echo Workstation on Windows 2003 - Backup/Recovery WORKS but strange e

There is one thing that I recall in Workstation 9.1 - if it finds Server 2003 installed on a machine, it won't install and will complain about not being installed on a workstation.

I've only tried Echo server versions -so your Echo workstation maybe throwing up that error message, because you've somehow persuaded it to work on a server.

Colin

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello evotsi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image Echo Workstation does not support server operating systems, as pointed in chapter 2.1.2 "Supported operating systems" of the respective User's Guide.

You can find detailed information on various versions of Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guides.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.